Sync 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully this will be on the 10" screen. It doesnt specifically call without but if the verticals are 15", no reason a smaller version wont be available on the 10".

Makes sense to not go full bore on the 10" optimization knowing sync 4 is coming and upgradable to maximize space.

I wouldn't assume we get this upgrade. Sounds like hardware upgrades are needed that maybe we just dont have. Only time will tell but I'm not optimistic.

Wonder what it will take to get this in my 18?

I wouldn't assume we get this upgrade. Sounds like hardware upgrades are needed that maybe we just dont have. Only time will tell but I'm not optimistic.

Sync 4 has been in the works for a while. There was a leaked image of sync 4 on the 10" Explorer tablet prior to launch. Dont think they would put a brand new redesign vehicle with a system that will be outdated in less than 1 year.

In the article it mentions that it can download software over night when your car is off. They better update the 60K ST to Sync4. It will only be sometimes in 2020.

SYNC 4 is new hardware. Not a software upgrade to SYNC 3.

SYNC 4 is new hardware. Not a software upgrade to SYNC 3.

Then that is absolute horseshit that the 20 owners get screwed.. just my $0.02. (Not directed at you personally)

They should have NEVER created a all new ground up design with a system that was going out in a year.

Then that is absolute horseshit that the 20 owners get screwed.. just my $0.02. (Not directed at you personally)

They should have NEVER created a all new ground up design with a system that was going out in a year.

They did it when the previous face lift was given to XPL 16 Sport. They left it with older My Ford touch system and the 17XP were coming in why sync system. I think it will be updated via some kind of download. Its difficult to believe if Explorer 2020 won't be able to upgraded up to Sync4.

They did it when the previous face lift was given to XPL 16 Sport. They left it with older My Ford touch system and the 17XP were coming in why sync system. I think it will be updated via some kind of download. Its difficult to believe if Explorer 2020 won't be able to upgraded up to Sync4.

True but it was a mid cycle refresh, not a ground up brand new platform/design. The 1p" was made for this vehicle specifically, why create it for 1 year and then change it all.

MFT was 2010 till 2017. This would be 2020 till 2020? Does not make sense.

Like I previously mentioned, there was a reviewer in a preproduction model that turned the radio on ( no key) and sync 4 was on it. So we will see how thus plays out.

Surely one of the most annoying parts of the business from a customer viewpoint, but nothing new. Explorer isn't alone (Escape for example). I'd guess someone will make a retrofit kit or something to bump from Gen 3 to Gen 4 where it's applicable. Keep in mind 2020 just means it'll start rolling out on some vehicles for 21MY.

So what does this mean for Sync 3.4? Will there be any future performance or feature updates or will it just die on the vine?

I just did a factory order on my Aviator 2 weeks ago. Imagine how much better I'd feel this morning reading a Ford press release that along with Sync 4 and OTA changes they would develop and offer an upgrade/retro path for 2020 buyers of their brand new platform. (Somehow I never read that one!) Very disappointing.

I remember getting my newly designed 2015 Ford Mustang Limited Edition with MFT just to see 2016 get Sync 3. Pissed I was

They did it usa today protonmailwhen the previous face lift was given to XPL 16 Sport. They left it with older My Ford touch system and the 17XP were coming in why sync system. I think it will be updated via some kind of download. Its difficult to believe if Explorer 2020 won't be able to upgraded up to Sync4.
so true

An external facelift is far different than designing a vehicle from the ground up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SYNC 4 is completely new hardware, with all the lessons learned it has to be retrofit only (and most likely with limited functioning).
Not surprised, having in mind current SYNC 3 fragmentation aka v3.0, v3.2, v3.3 and even 3.4

Back