Strange vibrating sound only when cold out | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange vibrating sound only when cold out

I should explain... Sounds like you lean out with cold air and start to ping. Better gas should help, or maybe clean MAF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was even colder today -7 and it didn’t make the noise I let it warm up for a few minutes. And it was quiet. There was some ticking from the top end that was a bit louder because of the cold. But overall it seemed fine. I use 5w30 penzoil platinum high mileage synthetic.
The day it was loud I hadn’t drivin it for a week and got in and started it and drove off. Top end probably didn’t have much oil from not driving it.
I’ll keep a eye on it.

^ Yes that seems likely but at -7C temp, I'd still drop down to 5W-30, and a filter with a silicone ADBV (anti-drain back valve) like Motorcraft FL820S.

If I put my head under the truck at idle I could hear a little rattle type noise. I don’t drive it far only to work and back about 3 miles. Not enough to get fully warmed up. But driving the truck even with the window open or reving it at idle or flooring it etc I can’t hear a thing. Only when standing outside the truck I think it always made a little noise just more so when cold now. I don’t think switching to the synthetic did anything bad.
would stp help any?

I used a wix filter so that shouldn’t be a problem thanks !

^ No I wouldn't use any of the oil treatments that (mostly just) thicken the oil. It's going the opposite direction of the right viscosity for your location.

Here is a vid of mine idling new engine
Normal sounds if this helps

doing light acceleration I could hear a vibrating type noise.
Detonation, Pre-ignition (Pinging) Noise
You usually hear this noise when accelerating the vehicle. Most people call this a pinging or rattling sound. This noise is caused by an air/fuel mixture in the engine cylinder being ignited prematurely

Diagnosing Common Engine Noises - James on Engines #3

I had a 1/4 throttle tap... Removed stupid K&N filter previous owner installed, cleaned MAF (probably fouled by filter), and presto. :thumbsup: but hey, others here have lots trophies... so they probably know best ;)

Here is a vid of mine idling new engine
Normal sounds if this helps

ya mine sounds pretty similar to that louder when you put your head under the truck. These engines aren’t exactly that quiet lol.
my dad has a 2001 that has 150,000 miles and his is as loud as mine.

Here is a vid it’s -1 and it’s been running for about 10 min only. Sounds normal I guess. Runs Good though.

Here is a vid it’s -1 and it’s been running for about 10 min only. Sounds normal I guess. Runs Good though.

Sound fine to my ear at idle that's a good thing
Check your belt and tensioner see if the belt is stretched at the or close to the end of the adjustment should be in the middle or close

Ya it could be the tensioner I’m pretty sure it’s. It from the engine it self as it doesn’t really change when you rev it up. Asked my dad a long time dyi mechanic says it doesn’t sound like the motor. But something around it exhaust possibly or what you said. could be a heat sheild. It does have a aftermarket custom dual exhaust so I’ll see if there is anything will that. And I’ll check the tensioner.
what would be the best way to check the belt tensioner ?

It actually sounds like the tensioner possibly. As I have been using the defrost which runs the Ac compressor which could put more strain on it. And the cold may do it. I’ll check it tomorrow.

Went out to Listen to it and it sounds like it’s from the belt tensioner. It also moves about 2 inches back and forth when it’s running and seems the noise goes with the way it’s moving. When it’s not running it looks like the marks are way off I’ll add a picture. I ordered the oem ford tensioner and got a belt and idler also may as well replace it all. Picture is sideways

F5923883-BABE-4564-B081-74AD2D405262.jpeg

While the belt is off I'd replace all the idler pulleys. If you think one is worn they're likely all worn. After all they've all spin around the same number of times. If you spin one by hand and the bearings feel dry and the pulley continues to spin once you let go of it, it needs to be replaced.

As far as the tensioner... They do move around a bit when the engine is running. 2" seems extremely excessive, but the movement is not typically caused by the tensioner. More by the belt.

Sound fine to my ear at idle that's a good thing
Check your belt and tensioner see if the belt is stretched at the or close to the end of the adjustment should be in the middle or close

Although belt tensioner failures are common, @donalds nailed it. Here's a 36 second YouTube video:

Although belt tensioner failures are common, @donalds nailed it. Here's a 36 second YouTube video:

I would say mine is almost as bad as the one on the left in that vid. I got a new Bando belt the one listed for my sport trac on rock auto and a oem ford tensioner from rock auto and a Ac Delco idler pulley. I’ll replace all 3 when I’m doing it.
thanks for that vid it helped a lot.

I guess that’s why it’s louder when you stick your head under the truck sound is radiating down.

At 60k was lucky to have my OE tensioner completely fail close to home when making a u-turn at full steering lock. Heard the tensioner spring pop followed by noises. Too late since you've already ordered OEM parts, but I believe Gates is the OE supplier for belt tensioners. Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW, if installing solo, have a cheater pipe handy for the end of your 3/8" square drive ratchet or breaker bar. New tensioner springs are very strong when you're using the other hand to put the belt on the idler pulley.

Do you have a pic of the top where it shows the adjustment marks. Just to see what the difference in mine is. ya the oem one was only a couple bucks more

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No sorry not yet I won’t have the parts till end of the week

Back