Strange vibrating sound only when cold out | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange vibrating sound only when cold out

Another view

20190413_154819.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good pic above. Looks like a Dayco tensioner with their flat spring. Also a Goodyear Gatorback or Continental Elite belt. Thinking about replacing my Gates Micro V belt as a preventative measure, and have been looking at the discontinued Gatorback or the Elite that replaced it. Any unusual noises with that design?

Good pic above. Looks like a Dayco tensioner with their flat spring. Also a Goodyear Gatorback or Continental Elite belt. Thinking about replacing my Gates Micro V belt as a preventative measure, and have been looking at the discontinued Gatorback or the Elite that replaced it. Any unusual noises with that design?
you nailed the tensioner and belt
Nope never had a problem
Never had a noise

When I installed my supercharger the belt ended up a few mm to long so I installed a larger idler pulley:D

Anyone ya I can hear the sound all the time when the window is open and the radio is off at idle. Not super loud but you can notice it. I should have the new idler and tensioner for this weekend. If it doesn’t fix it. Then I’ll just leave it. anyone else watch my video ?

You can bet they did

Haven’t had my 2002 sport trac very long and it was -8c this am and going about 40km and doing light acceleration I could hear a vibrating type noise. Like say a metal rod vibrating against a piece of metal it sounds like. Never heard it before only in this cold. It went away by the time I got to work. But it seems to be a certain speeds and rpm and only with cold temps. Any ideas I could look at ? thanks
I have the exact same issue with my 07 explorer. You described it perfectly. It happens with the smallest incline and it starts to resonate on and off until I level out. I looked underneath for any loose covers and found nothing. Somebody mentioned a tensioner. Which tensioner? This is driving me crazy. I have 130k v8.

Check out my video a page or 2 back.

Changed the belt. Idler and tensioner. And still the same noise. It’s all the time cold hot whichever. But it’s more of a tingy noise not a rattle so much. You can hear in my video a couple pages back. it sounds like from the oil pan area or the back of the engine kinda.
I ordered the rear timing chain tensioner to replace to see if maybe that’s causing it ? Should I bother or just leave it ? thanks

Back