Inexpensive 16" wheels for 94 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inexpensive 16" wheels for 94 sport

Shawn Thomas

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer sport
Hello. I have factory 15" wheels with good tires. I want to have them studded for winter use. I have another set of same tires in 16" that I want to use on preferably factory wheels for daily use. I've been searching but haven't found much on here. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks! I saw yours in the wheel thread. I have manual locking hubs. Is the center bore large enough? I didn't really want to run spacers if I don't have to. May be towing a heavy trailer occasionally. My sport is a 5spd manual hubs and transfer case

I am unsure if the center bore is large enough or not. I can measure it on the OEM 16's I have if you would like...

That would be awesome! Those are the wheels I was hoping to find.

I am out of town, but can do it when I get back. Send me a PM to remind me...

Factory wheels wont-work with lock and lock out hubs the center holes are too small

factory 16" ....(mine are off a 2k ranger)

yes they will fit lockouts on a dana 35 ttb and yes the plastic center caps will work after you drill a hole
sorry dont have a pic with the combo together but i was running it last year so save some gas mileage over the 35s

27067474_10215749447357061_4288423039963960855_n.jpg

42304057_10217807987459277_5547774132000653312_o.jpg

My main concern was opening on hub of rim for fitment. Center bore. Will my manual hubs fit through center? Caps are secondary. Love the lathe...

Yes they do, you can see my manual locking hub sticking out of the front tire in one of the photos. No mods to the wheel needed for that.

Wish you were in the Phoenix area. I've got a set of 4 of the 16" alloy wheels and even have a steel spare. Would love to sell them.

My 92' with Explorer 16" wheels and yes you have to bore out the centers, easy to do with some time and a hole saw :

explorer 92 1.jpg

The 2nd gen 16's will all fit the 1st gen's, only the center caps will have to be altered for 4WD hubs. The 3rd gen's and later will have different offsets, and from above it looks like the center holes might be smaller in some also. The 98-01 wheels should be plentiful now still, I'd hunt those. I'm partial to the 99-01 Limited wheels, I have 13 of them.;)

Projectthread003.JPG

Back