• Register Today It's free!

Transmission leaking with photos

Mrobs146

Reaction score
City, State
Westland, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xls 4x4
Trying to figure out where this is coming from it just started happening any ideas??
E33C2D97-5B04-4453-BE7F-61A1D4E290EB.jpeg
6015C585-9F4D-40BD-93D9-0E01F3236D3A.jpeg
A0C9F6CF-10AA-4EBA-A3D1-39FCD4E3C40A.jpeg
61380EDC-9595-4DCE-ADBE-8A3194F11A46.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would clean it off and drive it for a bit, then recheck it.

is it leaving puddles? Or just dots?

ALL cars develop leaks. I dont care what brand, miles, or year built. Gaskets rot and leak. Looks like it *COULD* be the transmission pan gasket. Which is very easy to replace.

While running and sitting leaves a little puddle size of a baseball

Yeah definitely I have no idea where from trying to figure it out. Trying to see if anyone has had this before

When was the last time you change the tranny fluid. I'd start by draining the fluid, dropping the pan, changing the filter and replacing the gasket.

QUOTE="MrPulldown, post: 3802117, member: 320209"]When was the last time you change the tranny fluid. I'd start by draining the fluid, dropping the pan, changing the filter and replacing the gasket.[/QUOTE]
When was the last time you change the tranny fluid. I'd start by draining the fluid, dropping the pan, changing the filter and replacing the gasket.

It’s been quite a few thousand miles. What’s the best brands to go with for that stuff. Fluid, filter, and pan gasket?

You know the drill?
Mercon V Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). I use Walmart house brand
Filter and gasket came as a kit. I think I used WIX. What ever my local O-Rielys gave.
You will also need a 1/8" NPT to 1/4" barbed fitting to do the fill.
And a torx driver #10(?) to get the fill plug out from the center of the drain plug.
Look up a write up on how to do it. The no dipstick fill from the bottom is a little different than typical. Good method though.
I would start by removing the center fill port with the engine warm and running to see if your fluid was low. Some ATF should dripple out if the level is right.

If it leaks when its running look for leaks at the cooler lines or the front area.

Although I drive very easy, I consider myself lucky.
My 2004 Mountaineer still runs like new ... at 229K.
It has the original engine and transmission that work perfectly.
As a matter of fact, besides maintenance stuff, I've only replaced the alternator.
I always said it must of been built on a Wednesday morning!

That looks like it's from the drain for the AC. There's a small square hole right above the connector for the trans solenoid plug. Look up with a flashlight you will see it sticking out through the floor

Back