Sound after sitting a while | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sound after sitting a while

I wonder if this is what is causing some Explorers to go into Deep Sleep mode due to battery drain?

Peter
I don’t think they’re related. My Explorer is extremely talkative but I’ve never had a Deep Sleep notice. And my ST sometimes sits for days at a time. Chattering away all the while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a known issue on the 2020's of repeated noise when the car is parked and you are outside the vehicle with the remote. I believe my dealer said that it was due to a solenoid that is resetting to the "home" position. They suspected there will be a software update for this issue. It was nothing to worry about, though.

The thing is some of these posts indicate there was no fob anywhere near the vehicle.

Peter

The thing is some of these posts indicate there was no fob anywhere near the vehicle.

Peter
I may be incorrect about that, but I noticed it with the fob near a 2020 ST. The clicking sound is that solenoid that repeatedly resets.

Fob, no fob, doesn’t matter. Also more than just clicking - also whirring and grinding(ish). Not worried at this point. ST’s way of communicating, I’ve decided.

You could be correct about the solenoid though. I've noticed my Aviator makes many more noises than my previous 2017 Platinum when I open the door before starting it. Also shortly after I've parked it.

Peter

Here you go - direct from Ford:

SSM 48197 - 2020 Explorer/Aviator - AWD - Clicking/Grinding Noise From Transfer Case When KeyFob Wake Up/Unlocks/Starts Vehicle

Some 2020 Explorer/Aviator vehicles equipped with all wheel drive (AWD) may exhibit a noise during vehicle wake-up. This noise may be louder in the general area of the driver's seat. This noise may be due to the transfer case clutch actuator learning its ready position. The sound is a moving motor "zipper" sound and will happen 0-2 times, depending on how the learning process completes. The vehicle wake-up process does not happen on every vehicle engagement by the customer, only if enough time has passed for the modules to be in sleep mode. This is a characteristic noise of the learning process and no repairs should be attempted.

“Moving motor "zipper" sound” is about as descriptive as any. Thanks for posting. There are also some other sounds involved as well.

So, I have some crazy clicking and relay like noises happening when The car is off.

here is a video to help, curious if others do this

I have noticed that also; figured it is the electronics responding to the fob being close but I'm not certain

I have noticed that also; figured it is the electronics responding to the fob being close but I'm not certain

ya that’s all I can think of... I just randomly walk by or open the door (car not started) and I hear this stuff...

If it helps, ours does the same.

Your thread was merged with the existing one on this same topic using the search function of the forum. As you can see, this is normal.

I've heard mine "detect" my presents, don't recall if I had my key fob on my or not. Could be your smartphone and the Ford App talking to Sync to wake things up (pure unfounded speculation).
I can make my ST make some interesting noises (flushing a toilet noise) when I hit the refresh button on my FordPass App (keep fob inside). I am starting to rethink passing up on the extended warranty!

I have 2020 Explorer Platinum that continues to make noises after it’s been parked for days. Several actuators like the throttle actuator stay active for no reason. I have been a Ford Dealer Tech my whole life. This is not normal. My key fobs are stored in the house and this Explorer doesn’t shut down. And the actuators are noisy as hell. Total BS. Going to the dealer after Covid-19

I have 2020 Explorer Platinum that continues to make noises after it’s been parked for days. Several actuators like the throttle actuator stay active for no reason. I have been a Ford Dealer Tech my whole life. This is not normal. My key fobs are stored in the house and this Explorer doesn’t shut down. And the actuators are noisy as hell. Total BS. Going to the dealer after Covid-19

Your thread has been merged with the current one on this using the search feature. It is normal as they all do it.

Yeah, just read this thread, it is super weird, but all normal I suppose....As long as my doors stay locked and my battery isn't dead the next day, I won't worry, yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There seem to be several items that don't go to 'sleep'. Mine makes many noises when I open the door and also after shutting the vehicle off. Can't say I've heard any noises when just walking bu it though.

Peter

Back