Serpentine Chirping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine Chirping

padddy_fc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer XlT
I drove home from college for thanksgiving break 7 hours and my 98 5.0 X did totally fine, but the next day when I started it it had a chirp coming from somewhere on the belt. In June I replaced one idler pulley that had gone bad and the serpentine belt while I was at it, this week I then replaced the second idler, tensioner pulley, and alternator (all factory from 98 and showing signs of wear). Everything else seems to be in good shape and functioning fine. I'm wondering if it might be the fan clutch? I have to leave for school tomorrow to beat a big snowstorm, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar issue in my '99, 5.0l AWD. It drove me nuts trying to locate. It had nothing to do with the belt or pulleys. It was the cam position sensor which is located on top of the intake manifold to the right of the thermostat housing.

Does the chirp go away when the motor warms up? If so it might be your belt is cold and stiff.

I had a similar issue in my '99, 5.0l AWD. It drove me nuts trying to locate. It had nothing to do with the belt or pulleys. It was the cam position sensor which is located on top of the intake manifold to the right of the thermostat housing.

^^^ this
it sounds almost identical to belt chirp. easy way to find out, pull the belt, start it. if its still chirping, its the cam position sensor. also, if it ends up being that, replace it only with a motocraft one. all the others seem to fail within 6 months or so

^^^ this
it sounds almost identical to belt chirp. easy way to find out, pull the belt, start it. if its still chirping, its the cam position sensor. also, if it ends up being that, replace it only with a motocraft one. all the others seem to fail within 6 months or so

Ditto. Plus for short term, some people have had good success with oiling the CMP with 3-in-1 oil, or similar lubricant made for bearings. That you can do in ten minutes, remove the CMP cover, oil inside at the base of the shaft, and put the cover back on.

Check out this video. It shows how to oil the cam syncro to eliminate the squeak.

Back