Lost S/C bleeder screw inside transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Salty Dalt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I opened the S/C bleeder screw and did not get any fluid flow, just the occasional small bubble. I removed the bleeder screw thinking it might be clogged. Found this clumpy white stuff clogging it up, and slowly coming out of bleeder screw port. I finally got fluid flow and went to put bleeder screw back in, and dropped it inside transmission case. Already tried a strong magnet to pull it to the S/C inspection port with no luck. I could also buy a new one, but was concerned about old one moving around in case. I disconnected the line to the S/C, so no flow, but really need some ideas. Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that sucks. Maybe keep trying with the magnet? You’re talking about in the bellhousing, right? Seems like it would not interfere with anything, unless it somehow bounces up into the clutch.
I’m moving this into the Transmission section, I think you might get more knowledgeable help there.

How big is your access hole? I’d try a shop vac and a smaller tube taped to the hose if you could get one to fit.

Wow, that sucks. Maybe keep trying with the magnet? You’re talking about in the bellhousing, right? Seems like it would not interfere with anything, unless it somehow bounces up into the clutch.
I’m moving this into the Transmission section, I think you might get more knowledgeable help there.
I believe it is in the bell housing. The part with the flywheel and clutch assembly. Concerned about it hitting flywheel or catching inside pressure plate. I tried a strong magnet on the outside of the aluminum case, but it did not bring anything back. I can almost fit my hand into S/C inspection port, but can't get my fingers under flywheel teeth to feel for the bleeder screw. I'll keep trying

How big is your access hole? I’d try a shop vac and a smaller tube taped to the hose if you could get one to fit.
Great idea! I will have to give it a try. Willing to try it if it prevents me from having to pull transmission.

Also, what do you think that white clumpy crap from the S/C is? It was clogging the bleeder screw and line.

okay Im an a hole indulge me here with a couple of questions:

What is S/C and why does it have a bleeder screw?
You are telling me your 01 sport trac is a stick shift???

Slave cylinder I assume. Sounds like you'll be pulling the transmission to replace it if it looks that yummy coming out.

it is a stick shift!! cool
Flexible magnet and maybe inspection camera to find it

okay Im an a hole indulge me here with a couple of questions:

What is S/C and why does it have a bleeder screw?
You are telling me your 01 sport trac is a stick shift???
S/C is short for slave cylinder. This post was originally under the Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series forums. This is a different truck I am working on. I wish my Sport Trac was a stick shift. I have had a lot of issues with the 5R55E. I made a post on the 2001-2005 Sport Trac forum recently looking for transmission help, if anybody else has input. Thank you

it is a stick shift!! cool
Flexible magnet and maybe inspection camera to find it
Not a stick shift on my truck. Other truck I am working on. I will try a magnetic tool and see where that gets to. I tried a super powerful magnet on the outside of the case, but it was just too bulky.

Slave cylinder I assume. Sounds like you'll be pulling the transmission to replace it if it looks that yummy coming out.
That is next years' project along with the clutch and related components. The shifting into 1st and reverse from a stop was getting very difficult, and at one point even getting into upper gears. I researched this issue and concluded there must be air in the system. Tried the burp the air out of the system by the master cylinder, that started to leak. I replaced that, used the bench bleed procedure and got that ready to install. Installed the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder, opened the bleeder screw, and that was the just the beginning of the adventure.

dang
is the slave leaking fluid? Usually that is how crud gets in the system through the leaking slave body or if the master cyl loses some seals

dang
is the slave leaking fluid? Usually that is how crud gets in the system through the leaking slave body or if the master cyl loses some seals
I looked through the inspection plug port on the side of the transmission, everything looks dry at the slave cylinder. The fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir has always stayed full. Trying to burp air out of the system was when the master cylinder started to leak. Replaced that and properly bench burped the system.

I opened the S/C bleeder screw and did not get any fluid flow, just the occasional small bubble. I removed the bleeder screw thinking it might be clogged. Found this clumpy white stuff clogging it up, and slowly coming out of bleeder screw port. I finally got fluid flow and went to put bleeder screw back in, and dropped it inside transmission case. Already tried a strong magnet to pull it to the S/C inspection port with no luck. I could also buy a new one, but was concerned about old one moving around in case. I disconnected the line to the S/C, so no flow, but really need some ideas. Thank you

Did you pull the starter ? I used an inspection camera to locate and remove a washer !

Did you pull the starter ? I used an inspection camera to locate and remove a washer !
Great idea! Have not had a chance to try with a magnetic tool yet. I will update how that turns out. If not successful, I might pull the starter out and try the magnetic tool there also.

I have made great progress since the last time I posted here! I used the magnetic tool to reach near the bottom of the pressure plate and flywheel through the inspection port in the transmission. Within 30 seconds, I heard a "click", removed the magnetic tool, and the bleeder screw was attached to the end of it! Thank you for all of your help!

flexible magnets are soooooo handy! glad you got it out!!

Back