Recommendations for a bi-directional scan tool. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendations for a bi-directional scan tool.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Hello there -

questions for all the DIY-ers and shop owners.
What is a decent scan tool that goes beyond a basic code reader and can also communicate back with the car ie: purge valve command, etc.

I am looking for example at LAUNCH X431 TOUCH PRO OBD2 but I know other companies make them. My problem is I do not know much, almost nothing yet about those LOL

I am looking to spend $ 300-400 ???
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah thats what I use forscan and an elm327 with hs/ms switch but you only need the switch to edit those settings like changing the oil change intervals ect ... the only thing i have really done is the abs purge function

yeah thats what I use forscan and an elm327 with hs/ms switch but you only need the switch to edit those settings like changing the oil change intervals ect ... the only thing i have really done is the abs purge function
Paying for the elm is worth it just to do the breaks alone :)

Thanks all for the replies.
I have Forscan and it's great.
I never knew I can command back to the car with that.

I asked the question since I get asked by friend and family members to check their cars as well. So while Forscan works for our 2 Fords, I'd like to have something more universal - thus the question.

Paying for the elm is worth it just to do the breaks alone :)

I bought my first elm327 just for reading codes later on I found forscan and was amazed that it could reprogram keys and reprogram the ABS pump to vin match which was what i needed to swap out my faulty cluster with a working one and matching pcm all in all... $10 elm, $10 forscan license, $20 cluster, $15 pcm and key programming with big thanks to a junkyard that had the parts I needed.... having the dealer do this would have bled me dry

Back