98 sohc will not start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 sohc will not start

dezufo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer/LPG
Went on holiday for 4weeks, when I got back battery was flat so unable to operate remote key fob. Recharged battery and remote unlocks/locks doors ok, however when it came to starting the beast it would turn over but not fire up. It happened once before and I removed the anti-theft relay from behind dash, left it out over night then the next day it started 1st time, that method is not working this time.

Questions
1; Unable to hear fuel pump when ignition on but not cranking, should this be audible
2; Is it possible that the anti-theft module detected low voltage and went into non start mode
3; Where is this module
4; Is there an easy reset procedure

I need to get this up and running so I can get MOT done then I will be selling it as it is now surplus to requirements
Any tips on what to check will be much appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you get sorted?

Si
Nope. checked the relays in main box under bonnet, had to check 1 by 1 as the layout does not match the picture in owners hand book also checked against the layout of pic found in a 1996 Ford electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual and even that did not match as the one shown for fuel pump actually does the blower motor in my car. I suspect its either the fuel pump or the ecu but it will have to wait till warmer months for further investigation

Your running propane?

Your running propane?
LPG = Liquefied Petroleum Gas, it might be propane haven't really gone into the details of it except that it is a lot cheaper to run but it has to start on petrol then once warmed up it switches over to the gas. Have just had my current vehicle (subaru forester) converted with no apparent loss of acceleration or top speed

LPG = Liquefied Petroleum Gas, it might be propane haven't really gone into the details of it except that it is a lot cheaper to run but it has to start on petrol then once warmed up it switches over to the gas. Have just had my current vehicle (subaru forester) converted with no apparent loss of acceleration or top speed
Wish I could help but I don't know anything about lpg / propane
I suggest to post in the gen 2 forum may get a faster answer

Wish I could help but I don't know anything about lpg / propane
I suggest to post in the gen 2 forum may get a faster answer
It is not an lpg problem, it wont start on petrol. I need to find the fuel pump relay then I can short it out so I can check for voltage on the wiring all the way to the connector at the tank

Fuel pump relay will be under the hood in the main power panel.

I’m assuming it’s not the anti theft. The indicator on the cluster will blink rapidly if it’s a PATS issue.

Back