Reverse Brake Assist

HCSO84

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Hello,

I have a 2020 Explorer ST and need help with the reverse brake assist setting. I park my ST in a tight garage and when I back out of the garage my ST thinks I’m going to hit something and automatically brakes for me (scaring me). I’ve turned off the reverse brake assist in the settings on my dashboard screen, which turns this feature off for a few days only.

After a few days I’ll back out of my garage and my ST will automatically brake for me again. I go to the settings and the reverse brake assist is back on. I would understand if the reverse brake assist would turn back on after each restart of the engine (like the auto stop/start), but in my case the reverse brake assist will stay off for a few days and then randomly turn back on.

My local Ford dealerships have no idea what’s going on. Any information on this would be great. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
What you describe doesn't seem right to me. I believe it should either stay OFF or come back ON after an ignition cycle if that is the default setting. In reading the Manual, it seems to me that it should stay OFF if that is the setting chosen. It does not appear to be a default setting.
If you want it OFF permanently, see if you can fool the system into thinking you have a trailer hooked up.;)

Peter

Thank you for your reply. If I attempt to fool my ST in thinking that I have a trailer connected, would I lose the rear backup sensors and BLIS cross traffic alerts while backing up?? Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
What you describe doesn't seem right to me. I believe it should either stay OFF or come back ON after an ignition cycle if that is the default setting. In reading the Manual, it seems to me that it should stay OFF if that is the setting chosen. It does not appear to be a default setting.
If you want it OFF permanently, see if you can fool the system into thinking you have a trailer hooked up.;)

Peter

Mine turns back on with each restart.

Ok thank you. Yeah mine will stay off for a few days even after I’ve stopped and started my engine multiple times and then randomly a few days later it will be back on.

Mine turns back on with each restart.

Thank you for your reply. If I attempt to fool my ST in thinking that I have a trailer connected, would I lose the rear backup sensors and BLIS cross traffic alerts while backing up?? Thank you.
I didn't check the Manual on those items. Just noticed when looking up the Reverse Braking that it mentioned it would turn OFF when connecting a trailer. You can check the Manual regarding the other features.

Peter

Sometimes when I turn off reverse brake assist it stays off for a few days by itself. I turned off reverse brake assist yesterday and this morning as soon as I start my car I see in yellow alert "reverse brake assist off", so I just click ok and say thanks. At least I don't have to go into setting to change it off, it's so annoying. I wonder if it has any effect on the brake bad wear and it pressed the brakes so sudden as if you have hit something.

I have the same issue with the brakes being applied abruptly when backing out of my garage. Push the button on the dash to disable the park assist and I haven't had any more issues since.

I have the same issue with the brakes being applied abruptly when backing out of my garage. Push the button on the dash to disable the park assist and I haven't had any more issues since.
I've seen other posts about that. I back out as well but haven't had that 'self-braking' issue. I don't know if the Aviator is set up a little differently.:dunno:

Peter

Back