• Register Today It's free!

trans service

lynnboy021

Reaction score
City, State
billerica ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
just bought a 04 4.0 with 109,000 miles. I already did an oil change, air filter, brakes all around, new wipers and a few things here and there oh and tomorrow i am going to install new sp-500 plugs... i really want to do a tranny filter and fluid change. will it hurt the tranny if i do that? i know how the 5r55w tranny can give problems (i had a 02 and i went to hell with it) so i am trying to just extend the life of the tranny... should i use Lucas or anything? how many bottles do i have to pump into the tranny? 5? i have not done this since 2012 when i had my 02....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A pan drop and filter change is a better option, IMO, than a flush. I see no downside to a drain and refill. If fact, I would suggest following up with a second pan drop (no filter change needed) and a refill after putting 1k miles on the first change. This will allow for a decent amount of the fluid to be changed since not quite half of the fluid is typically changed with a single drop. I suggest using only Ford brand fluid as it is formulated specifically for their transmissions. Other brands might not provide adequate protection. Below is a video showing how to fill and adjust the fluid level.

Can I use any brand atf fluid as long its Mercon V ATF?

Just because it says Motorcraft on it doesn't mean Ford made it. ;) Any Mercon V ATF brand should work, just don't get the general purposes "compatible with multiple brands" ATF. Stuff's crap.

Can I use any brand atf fluid as long its Mercon V ATF?

I would just go to the Ford dealer and buy fluid there. I have found they aren't much, if any, more expensive than auto parts stores. That way you know you are getting genuine Ford fluid.

I was thinking of using super tech mercon v atf.. $4 cheaper...

Mobil 1 synthetic is good. Just make sure that you use the correct fluid. You don't need Lucas if you have no issues such as leaks or erratic shifting. It's a good idea to install a magnetic drain plug, and an external secondary filter.

I was thinking of using super tech mercon v atf.. $4 cheaper...
Use motorcraft Mercon v only
Supertec will work
I tried it it's worth the extra for the good stuff

I would just go to the Ford dealer and buy fluid there. I have found they aren't much, if any, more expensive than auto parts stores. That way you know you are getting genuine Ford fluid.
+1. Some Ford dealers will give you a price break on the 5 gal jugs.

Use motorcraft Mercon v only
Supertec will work
I tried it it's worth the extra for the good stuff
+1

Back