• Register Today It's free!

Flashing Check Engine Light

Phildeez

Reaction score
City, State
elkland, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Yes, Flashing Check Engine Light and loss of power going up hill and at Cruising Speed on Interstate (70mph). Occasional engine stumble. If I release throttle then give more throttle than when stumble occurs operation continues as expected. My mechanics advice is to "Let it get worse, it will make the problem easier to find." Idles fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What does the scan tool read?

2004 Explorer Owner’s Manual (Pages 10-11)
. If the light is blinking, engine misfire is occurring which could damage your catalytic converter. Drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration) and have your vehicle serviced immediately.

Under engine misfire conditions, excessive exhaust temperatures could damage the catalytic converter, the fuel system, interior floor coverings or other vehicle components, possibly causing a fire.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/04expog3e.pdf

Flashing check engine light means don't drive it is already worse.

Have you checked all plugs, wires, coil packs? I'd start with plugs and wires.

Yes I have replaced the spark plugs and at first that seemed to fix the issue. I plugged the diagnostic computer up to it and the only code stored was EVAP Leak... The last two times this issue has occurred that is stored by the computer. And I agree that it's already worse. But unfortunately I'm a working class man that barely scrapes by with a family. I cannot afford to pay somebody $80 an hour to find a needle in a haystack. Yet at the same time this car is literally my lifeline. No Car = Crash and Burn. So for now a friend of mine is going to check the fuel pressure.

If you can, borrow a scantool to view live data when it starts to buck. You may find a pattern. If it's mostly on a few cylinders, you know it's something that can only affect those cylinders, e.g. plugs/coils/wires/injectors etc. If it's random across all cylinders, then you can look at other possible sources.

Ok, so...Good news! I believe the issue is solved!. I replaced the Ignition Coil and Wires..BOOM! No more stumble. This weekend provided we don't get snowed in I'll test on highway. I'll update then. Thanks for the help.

If you can, borrow a scantool to view live data when it starts to buck. You may find a pattern. If it's mostly on a few cylinders, you know it's something that can only affect those cylinders, e.g. plugs/coils/wires/injectors etc. If it's random across all cylinders, then you can look at other possible sources.
What are your thoughts on the BlueDriver device? Im close to getting 1. It's just 100$ is alot of cash to drop on something your unfamiliar with. I have spent hours reading about it. It can read abs and transmission codes aswell. Anyways that was the plan..Get read out when it happenes. But it is most likely fixed. Fingers crossed.

I know nothing about the bluedriver Device. I got an OTC Genisys off Ebay. More expensive, but it can cycle the abs if necessary too.

I never looked into what Forscan can do for diagnostics because I got the Genisys about a year earlier, then got Forscan to turn the TPMS off on the Explorer.

Even though the Forscan can do all that, I'll still be using the Genisys for diagnostics because I'm familiar with it, and it's easier for me to set up. Forscan would have advantages because you would be able to print out results and graphs without having to purchase an additional and expensive print module for the Genisys.

Back