5R55E thermal bypass valve thermostat oem number | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E thermal bypass valve thermostat oem number

wollimann

Reaction score
City, State
Europe (Germany)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 sohc xlt
Hi ,

did anyone have a distributor part number for this damned thermostat part of the 5r55e?
(number on it 95GT-7M094-CA but no hints on web)
Cant find any information about it, only to block this pasage to gain full flow to cooler.
Did the A4LD have a similar thermostat?

thanks

Wolfgang

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_2682.PNG
To be honest you would be better to pin the valve in the open position. If that element fails or more likely gets debris in it and sticks in the closed position you will experience total melt down. Just from my experience. I always disable it on my rebuilds also makes filling and getting proper level reading easier.

thanks Brad,
yes of course, to fix the thermal-element-issue should be the best solution.
Occasionally this problem pops up in our German forum and every time i try to find out
more about this spare part. Unfortunately my web search did not bring any lambency.

You are able to order remanufactured valve body's all over the world, but you are not able to find
special spare parts for this 5R55E valve body.
The manufacturer must change this thermal element too, so i think it must be possible
to find this part or its number. The 5R55E ist used in many other vehicles Jaguar, Rover and so on,
but no results. What about the other parts (valves, springs, pucks, balls, retainer) of a valve body?
Where could i order them, any links?

Did the A4LD have a thermal element too?
I dont think so, i believe a solenoid regulate the flow to the cooler, but i am not shure.

best regards

Wolfgang

Wolfgang, the pucks and check balls come in overhaul kits. Ford doesn't sell pieces. You have to buy a new control body. Re manufactured pieces are just that pieces that will pass a go-no go test will be reused. Common wear items are already being made in the after market with over size parts and the proper tooling to make the modifications possible. Some re manufacturing companies have proprietary parts made also. There are assorted parts like retaining clips and end plugs available through transmission parts suppliers.
Also the A4LD did not use this element.

hello I already did that changed in my 5r55e, but I feel that the transmission works with less power

Hi rmontero9,

did you change the thermal bypass element or did you block it with some kind of adapter ring?
Do you have touched the transmission oil cooler, is it getting worm after some miles?
The transmission fluid runs first through the watercooler, in some cases it is possible
that oil goes into water or the the other way -> water into tranny oil (worst case).

If you feel the transmission works with less power, there could be some/many other reason
for this behaviour (bands slipping, worn servo pistons, worn clutch piston seals, solenoids, ...).
Ford recommends to install additional inline filter after working on transmission,
cooler has free flow?

What have you done with your tranny or valvebody?

Wolfgang

Hi I'm from venezuela,
I apologize for the translation.
My transmission works well, I decided to make this improvement to increase its useful life.
I modified the bypass thermal valve, so that the transmission works in cooling mode, because in Venezuela the average ambient temperature is 30 ° C and it never reaches below zero.
I removed the original cooling system and instead placed a single larger coping coil.
Hi rmontero9,

did you change the thermal bypass element or did you block it with some kind of adapter ring?
Do you have touched the transmission oil cooler, is it getting worm after some miles?
The transmission fluid runs first through the watercooler, in some cases it is possible
that oil goes into water or the the other way -> water into tranny oil (worst case).

If you feel the transmission works with less power, there could be some/many other reason
for this behaviour (bands slipping, worn servo pistons, worn clutch piston seals, solenoids, ...).
Ford recommends to install additional inline filter after working on transmission,
cooler has free flow?

What have you done with your tranny or valvebody?

Wolfgang

Hi I'm from Germany,
sometimes the temperature rises +30°C and i also modified the thermal bypass valve.
Not because I'm in trouble with the tranny, more to eleminate the risk of a burned transmission.
Additionally i installed a bigger trans-oil-cooler, so now the oil temerature never reaches 80°C.
If the thermal valve is ok and opens the big circuit to the cooler at 70°C oil temp,
it doesen't matter where you live (cause you should have a water thermostat which opens earlyer
in your region).
But if not it is a still process of overheating, sometimes it's too late to react,
Bands and clutches burned.

You wrote "but I feel that the transmission works with less power",
so now what about that feeling?
Maybe you didn't use MerconV transmission oil?

Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang (Wollimann)
I live in Venezuela, average temperature throughout the year is +30 ° C
I will try to make a better explanation to your questions.
When I refer to my transmission having little power, I mean it makes the first changes well, but the last change makes it very late at 80kmp and 2500rpm.

I cannot use ATF mercon V. here in Venezuela it is not easy to get mercon V.

Rafael.

I mean it makes the first changes well, but the last change makes it very late at 80kmp and 2500rpm.

I think you mean the transmission shift points.
At 80 km/h and 2500rpm it should be the fourth gear, or the fifth gear if the converter clutch does not engage.
Many problems caused from wrong oil or less oil.
Buy the matching transmission oil and feel the changes with MerconV.

How many miles does the tranny runs now? First tranny?
Tranny oil pressure is the most important thing in this 5R55E.
If you didn't change the fluid and filter regularly,
looking for some blown valve body gaskets and loosen valve body bolts
or other leaks,
this could cause changes in shift behaviour.
Common issues are also the solenoid valves in that valve body
or other electrical problems (speed sensor, ...).
Sometimes the brackets, that holds the solenoids, are braking.

The last time i overhauled a 5R55E spare transmission and upgraded the valvebody
i was very astonished how much pressure the tranny puts out.
Every shift point you directly feel it in your ass.
A few weeks later there were 2 liters of transfluid missing!
Found the missing oil inside the transfer case, cause the "new" pressure
pushed the oil through the (worn) input sealing ring of the transfer case.

regards
Wolfgang

Ok thanks for commenting.

I wanted to know if ¿When the thermal bypass valve thermostat is placed in the open position, the internal transmission pressure is lower?

When I make new repairs to my transmission, I pass the information

Rafael.

I don't think so, the bypass valve didn't harm the main pressure.
Torque converter, oil pump, valve body, seals and electrics (tps, vss, vb valves)
are the main parts manipulate the pressure.

Back