• Register Today It's free!

360* Co-Pilot cam questions

Cobra Jet

Reaction score
City, State
Southern, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
Ok, I haven’t seen it here, went to Ford site and even tried googling and still can’t find the answer...

Someone tell me where are all the cams located on the exterior of the 2020’s so that it can produce an overhead and 360* imagery of the vehicle and it’s surroundings when backing up???

It’s really a wild feature; wish Ford would take this same tech and put it into the Mustangs - especially the outboard sensors to show how close the front bumper or even the complete sides of the vehicle is getting to obstacles when parking.

I think the 360* looks really cool at night when backing up; not only do I see the brake lights illuminate on the little Explorer image on the SYNC screen, but since the weather is still quite cold here in NJ, I can also see the exhaust coming out of the tailpipes... LOL!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front grill, back lift gate, both mirrors... The tuck is computer generated...
Jeff

Jeff

yeah, if you want to see something funky, fold your mirrors while in 360 view.....

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks!

So how does the 360* system capture the overhead road/lot imagery - is that something like a google maps satellite image merged with the live outside cam images?

I'm guessing that the actual vehicle is a static image and the images from the 4 cameras are blended together to form the surrounding view.

Peter

The best answer is to have someone walk around your vehicle. You can see where the computer blends the cameras together. Remember its not perfect, don't depend on it for exact distances!!!
Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks!

So how does the 360* system capture the overhead road/lot imagery - is that something like a google maps satellite image merged with the live outside cam images?

Cameras plus a lot of image processing.

I wonder why we can’t view each camera individually. The best use for the cameras in my last vehicle was to isolate the curb view while parking to get as close as possible without rubbing.

One update would go a really long way to please some of Ford’s biggest spending customers and get the most out of their existing hardware.

I wonder why we can’t view each camera individually. The best use for the cameras in my last vehicle was to isolate the curb view while parking to get as close as possible without rubbing.

One update would go a really long way to please some of Ford’s biggest spending customers and get the most out of their existing hardware.
I've been using these for 50+ years and you can see the rear wheels although a reverse tilt mirror may be a bit more useful.

convex.jpg

convex2.JPG

Back