Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 46 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 155 87.6%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.4%

• Total voters
Does the water pump make a noise when failing? Heard a bearing like noise upon startup this morning. Only made noise when in R or P. Noise went away after a couple minutes. Definitely was coming from passanger side front, where the WP is. Alternator is right there as well.
Was a dreadful noise, but no issue with temp running hot.
Thoughts?
I don't recall anyone with a failure mentioning a 'noise' before it went. Many had no warning at all and a few noticed coolant coming from the weep hole.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a 2011 Edge (same 3.5) that got towed in after overheating and running poorly the other day. Customer said she heard a funny noise for a little bit upon startup but didn't think anything of it since it went away.

Once I got it I drained 12qts of mud out the crankcase and emptied the cooling system. I've put 7qts of 5w30 w/new filter in it to clean it out somewhat and see if the motor has noise. Unfortunately it's got a little tap to it still unrelated to the water pump so they are getting another motor. It had 161k on it.

I'm putting in a used engine with 92k out another 2011 in it and replacing the pump while its out. It's super clean on the inside and with a fresh water pump it should go for another 150k.

I've also got a 14 Taurus 3.5 I'm going to compare to the earlier 3.5 to see if the swap is possible. A 2012 and earlier engine with 100k will run you at least $1k. Compared to a 2013 and newer engine can be had for $600 for one with 50k miles. There's got to be some way to swap cams and covers to make them work, just is it worth it?

New member here. My 2014 Sport w/94k miles (that I've only owned a short time) has a coolant leak, which I fear may be coming from the water pump. I've looked around the area (above and underneath, using flashlight and mirror), but cannot physically find this weep hole. Could someone please post a pic of that area? Also, coolant is still dropping on the floor even though it's been parked for days in the same spot and I've previously wiped the area dry. I thought that it wouldn't leak as long as the vehicle wasn't started and the system wasn't under pressure? I would like to think that the fault could lie somewhere else, but the leak is originating from the area similar to what others here have reported. Got an appointment with the dealer in a couple of weeks, hoping for the best but expecting the worst. :(

If it was still leaking days later after sitting the entire time, I wouldn’t think it would be coming from the weep hole. Hopefully it may be a line or even the reservoir or radiator.

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
I hope it's not the water pump. Have you checked the oil on the dip stick? Keep an eye on the coolant level.

Peter

If it was still leaking days later after sitting the entire time, I wouldn’t think it would be coming from the weep hole. Hopefully it may be a line or even the reservoir or radiator.

That's what I thought too. The engine bay is so tight that it's difficult to see anything, so I may be way off base in my suspicions. Keeping fingers crossed that it's something simple.

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
I hope it's not the water pump. Have you checked the oil on the dip stick? Keep an eye on the coolant level.

Peter

Thanks, Peter
Oh yes, after reading through all 46 pages of this thread, I'm watching both like a hawk.

2018 Explorer XLT with 23,700 miles. Water pump started leaking. Noticed water under car in the garage and a slight drop in the coolant level in the overflow tank. Took to dealer, diagnosed and found problem to be the water pump. Fortunately is appears that the leak was discovered early enough and no water leaked into the engine itself. Replaced under factory warranty. Cost would have been $1270 according to the invoice. Labor was 8.6 hours! Total parts $236. I wish I had know about the internal water pump when I bought the vehicle. I would have looked for one with the EcoBoost engine instead (correction-I was told Eco Boost has the same design). I had a 2013 Edge with over 130K miles and no issues with engine. Seems a poor design to have such an important part that by nature is prone to failure (bearings, impeller, etc) to be on the inside of the engine where failure can lead to completely destroying the engine with water in the block. Also having to tear down so much of the engine to replace the pump is crazy. I can only assume it was done to save on space since the engine is mounted sideways in a confined compartment.

I will be watching the coolant level more closely. Glad I bought an extended warranty with the car.

Not sure what you were expecting? I wouldn't expect a manufacturer to do something when I am 42,000 miles outside of my warranty.

Regarding Ford not being concerned about your past or future history, Ford didnt make a dime off your Explorer purchase (you bought it used). I have seen Ford step up outside of warranty but not anywhere near this far beyond.

You also had a choice to buy an ESP which you chose not to.

Sorry that it happened to you. Your dealer is a little high on price, you should ask them if they would use some of their funds to put towards it that Ford gives them. If you aren't a frequent customer of the dealership, they probably wont as they typically use them to take care of their customers who frequent the dealership for service/sales.

I lost my fusion sport with approximately 63,000 miles as mentioned last may. What was I expecting? I was expecting Ford to REPLACE MY FAILED ENGINE. Why? Because at the Very least they should release a bulletin warning ALL owners of this MANUFACTURING Defect/Mistake that the possibility exists for catastrophic engine failure if the water pump leaks/fails without any indicators.

I am the proud owner of a NEW Toyota Camry. If you own one of these vehicles with this engine, Trade it in to a dealer as soon as possible..(i would never sell to a private party, as that would be imoral and unethical without warning them as FORD should be doing.

So, I also have never owned anything other then NEW fords since 1986. WILL NEVER buy a ford again and warn everyone I know, Post in every forum, Do my best to prevent ANYONE from buying a ford. I feel screwed over by this. Like I said, Why has FORD not sent out notices to owners warning about this defect? The owners then could keep an eye out.

If ford sent a bulletin to owners, I would NOT expect an engine replacement, OR even a water pump replacement. I would however checked oil DAILY. DO NOT BUY FORD!!!!!! Get rid of yours now.!!!

............. I wish I had know about the internal water pump when I bought the vehicle. I would have looked for one with the EcoBoost engine instead. ........
The Ecoboost has the same issue.

Peter

I lost my fusion sport with approximately 63,000 miles as mentioned last may. What was I expecting? I was expecting Ford to REPLACE MY FAILED ENGINE. Why? Because at the Very least they should release a bulletin warning ALL owners of this MANUFACTURING Defect/Mistake that the possibility exists for catastrophic engine failure if the water pump leaks/fails without any indicators.

I am the proud owner of a NEW Toyota Camry. If you own one of these vehicles with this engine, Trade it in to a dealer as soon as possible..(i would never sell to a private party, as that would be imoral and unethical without warning them as FORD should be doing.

So, I also have never owned anything other then NEW fords since 1986. WILL NEVER buy a ford again and warn everyone I know, Post in every forum, Do my best to prevent ANYONE from buying a ford. I feel screwed over by this. Like I said, Why has FORD not sent out notices to owners warning about this defect? The owners then could keep an eye out.

If ford sent a bulletin to owners, I would NOT expect an engine replacement, OR even a water pump replacement. I would however checked oil DAILY. DO NOT BUY FORD!!!!!! Get rid of yours now.!!!
FYI there are many high mileage 5th gen Explorers that have not had this issue and it's not like these are failing on a daily basis. It is true that the pump was placed internally due to a lack of space with the transverse engine mounting and that unfortunately can lead to high $$$ issues. The problem was rectified with the 6th gen. as it has a longitudinal engine and external pump.

Peter

OH..... I thought I read differently. Good to know. Thx.
The ONLY Ecoboost engines that have the INTERNAL water pump are the 3.5 and the 3.7 ...NO other Ecoboost / Ford engines other than these two have the internal water pump... to the best of my knowledge... I'm pretty confident on this....
(And on the F-150 applications the water pump is external on these engines...due to available room)

The ONLY Ecoboost engines that have the INTERNAL water pump are the 3.5 and the 3.7 ...NO other Ecoboost / Ford engines other than these two have the internal water pump... to the best of my knowledge... I'm pretty confident on this....
(And on the F-150 applications the water pump is external on these engines...due to available room)

3.7 is not an ecoboost but has an internal pump.

The Ecoboost has the same issue.

Peter
Ecoboost is a marketing term that covers a lot of different engines. Just to clarify, explorer 3.5 eb has the issue, but not the explorer i4 eb.

The 3.5/3.7 transverse V6s are the ones with the internal water pump (3.5 EcoBoost included). The 2.0, 2.3, 2.7, and 3.0 EcoBoost engines have external water pumps, whether used on longitudinal or transverse applications.

If you look at the CD3/CD4/D3/D4 architecture with the 3.5/3.7, the area where the external pump would be mounted would interfere with the chassis subframe. On the same architecture with the 2.7/3.0 EcoBoost (as an example), there is room between the external water pump and subframe.

The 3.5/3.7 used on longitudinal applications (like Mustang and F-series) have external water pumps.

Hindsight: I should have gone with the 2.3L EcoBoost AWD Explorer for 16-19. Different PTU design (one that doesn't overheat) and external water pump on the engine = better overall deal. I could then tune that 2.3 for more power, giving the same or better acceleration as a stock Explorer Sport but with much better gas mileage.

Just following up to a post that I made back in December. My 2014 Sport w/94k miles was leaking coolant and I feared that the water pump was the culprit. Finally got to take it in to the local dealer last Thursday and they confirmed my worst fear; it was indeed a water pump leak. Was quoted $2100, then I added in a set of new plugs to the work order. Total was $2300, got it back today. Dealer said there was a 2 year/unlimited miles warranty on the water pump, so at least I have some peace of mind. Asked about changing oil in the PTU and was quoted $178; not too bad IMO, will schedule it soon.

I asked the service rep about water pump failures that they've seen come through there and he said it's been few and far between. In fact, I've been the first one in awhile that he can recall. They didn't even have a water pump in stock, had to order, so I hope to have gotten the latest and greatest version (if one exists). Also asked about PTU failures and he said they've only had two instances that he knows of, one involving overheating, the other physically damaged in some way. Took them a minute to provide a quote for PTU oil replacement, so I got the impression that it was something that they didn't do very often.

Crossing my fingers and hoping this is the last of the major repairs.

Is a two year warranty ona replacement water pump "standard"?

Ford offers it when you buy the parts through them and get it installed there or a legit repair shop. 2 years parts and labor. I know I'm/ my customers are covered at my small repair shop. You are NOT covered if you buy it wholesale online from what I've seen or if you install it yourself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just following up to a post that I made back in December. My 2014 Sport w/94k miles was leaking coolant and I feared that the water pump was the culprit. Finally got to take it in to the local dealer last Thursday and they confirmed my worst fear; it was indeed a water pump leak. Was quoted $2100, then I added in a set of new plugs to the work order. Total was $2300, got it back today. Dealer said there was a 2 year/unlimited miles warranty on the water pump, so at least I have some peace of mind. Asked about changing oil in the PTU and was quoted $178; not too bad IMO, will schedule it soon.

I asked the service rep about water pump failures that they've seen come through there and he said it's been few and far between. In fact, I've been the first one in awhile that he can recall. They didn't even have a water pump in stock, had to order, so I hope to have gotten the latest and greatest version (if one exists). Also asked about PTU failures and he said they've only had two instances that he knows of, one involving overheating, the other physically damaged in some way. Took them a minute to provide a quote for PTU oil replacement, so I got the impression that it was something that they didn't do very often.

Crossing my fingers and hoping this is the last of the major repairs.
Glad to see you got it repaired and are happy with the results Mike. Given the number of engines that had to be replaced because of the leak, I just wonder why you waited so long?

Peter

Back