Explorer Sport ac question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport ac question

Bianca Ruiz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport
Don’t know if this is the right spot to post this question!
So I have a 2016 Explorer Sport and recently the AC has completely stopped working. The compressor doesn’t switch in either. I took it to a mom and pop shop today hoping to save money and had it recharged and dye put in to locate the leak. I was told to come back in two weeks. Tech said 90% of Freon was gone. He said he filled it up.I drive home which is about five minutes away and the ac is working great and ice cold. But there was a hissing noise coming from inside the vents. Hoping it was nothing I went inside and about three hours later I turned it back on and the air is hot again and the compressor won’t turn. Could it be the evap core?
Thanks for any help!!

Don’t know if this is the right spot to post this question!
So I have a 2016 Explorer Sport and recently the AC has completely stopped working. The compressor doesn’t switch in either. I took it to a mom and pop shop today hoping to save money and had it recharged and dye put in to locate the leak. I was told to come back in two weeks. Tech said 90% of Freon was gone. He said he filled it up.I drive home which is about five minutes away and the ac is working great and ice cold. But there was a hissing noise coming from inside the vents. Hoping it was nothing I went inside and about three hours later I turned it back on and the air is hot again and the compressor won’t turn. Could it be the evap core?
Thanks for any help!!

Biggest culprit is a leak for the rear AC unit under the bumper (drivers side). A crack can developed in one of the lines. May want to check that out. Evap core isnt a common failure on the 5th gen.

Back