Weird chirping noise PLEASE HELP!

Thewinedoc

Reaction score
City, State
Camp hill
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer XLT
Hey everyone!
Wish I could upload a video... I’ve had the beast In the shop twice and when I drove it home it did it again.

around 5 minutes into the drive I get a really loud chirping Squeaking noise that lasts about 2-5 minutes then goes away. It seems to be coming from the right bottom side of the engine, but no one knows where. I am beginning to think it’s a bearing, but it is LOUD!

have any of you ever had this? I’ll put it up on YouTube and share the link...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles and are you awd/4wd? The ptu will make similar noises when failing.

When you say the right side do you mean the passenger or driver side?

Belt or belt tensioner pulley bearing?

When you say the right side do you mean the passenger or driver side?
I'm going to guess it's on the passenger side since he says he notices it when driving.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Thewinedoc.:wave:
Is it the same 2-5 minute interval regardless of the speed you're driving?

Peter

I'm going to guess it's on the passenger side since he says he notices it when driving.

If it is the passenger side then I would lay odds it is a worn belt or accessory pulley causing the problem. I just replaced my belt a couple of months ago and it sounded like a bird chirping at times. One way to tell if it is the belt is to spray water on it while it is making the noise. If the water makes the sound go away then it is most likely the belt causing the sound.

If it is the passenger side then I would lay odds it is a worn belt or accessory pulley causing the problem. I just replaced my belt a couple of months ago and it sounded like a bird chirping at times. One way to tell if it is the belt is to spray water on it while it is making the noise. If the water makes the sound go away then it is most likely the belt causing the sound.
They replaced my belt two weeks ago and it made it as I was leaving the lot. The worst part is that it only makes the noise when there is a load on it. Around 2500 rpms to 3000 rpms

Was it a ford dealer where you got the belt replace? Also I think there's two different belts depending on what alternator you have. Could be a belt tensioner or idler pulley.

here! Tell me what you think it is guys?

Ya know that doesn't sound like the belt to me. Could be the tensioner/pulley bearing. Find someone you trust and have them put it in gear, keep pressure on the brake pedal and push the accelerator to put a load on it while you have the hood up and maybe you can narrow it down. Or, tell the dealer to diagnose it for you.

long shot here. My son had a Chevy Cruze that would chirp. We thought it was the serpentine belt, changed it did nothing. The sound was weird in that we could not figure out exactly where it was coming from. I have a mechanics stethoscope and I listened everywhere without luck. Against my recommendations he changed the tensioner which did not fix it. Turned out a spark plug was loose. His Cruze has a cover that hides / shields the plugs. The spark plug wire was keeping the plug from getting any more loose so to speak but loose enough that a small amount of exhaust would leak. No codes which I thought it would throw. Noise would vary with temp, aluminum head expanding and contracting. Due to where the plugs are located its all but impossible to identify where the sound is coming from. We kept looking at belts, alternator, vacuum leak etc. One plug and a replacement wire and it was fixed.

long shot here. My son had a Chevy Cruze that would chirp. We thought it was the serpentine belt, changed it did nothing. The sound was weird in that we could not figure out exactly where it was coming from. I have a mechanics stethoscope and I listened everywhere without luck. Against my recommendations he changed the tensioner which did not fix it. Turned out a spark plug was loose. His Cruze has a cover that hides / shields the plugs. The spark plug wire was keeping the plug from getting any more loose so to speak but loose enough that a small amount of exhaust would leak. No codes which I thought it would throw. Noise would vary with temp, aluminum head expanding and contracting. Due to where the plugs are located its all but impossible to identify where the sound is coming from. We kept looking at belts, alternator, vacuum leak etc. One plug and a replacement wire and it was fixed.
Did it only do it for a little or a long time? Did the vehicle need to warm up and did it stop after a while???? That’s crazy!

Did it only do it for a little or a long time? Did the vehicle need to warm up and did it stop after a while???? That’s crazy!
So it does it after the car just gets warm. Usually 10 minutes. And does it constantly for 2 to 3 minutes straight then sporadically throughout a drive.

I would suggest what the other post suggested and check your PTU but also check your transmission.. Mine made a similar sound until one day it felt like I lost power, come to find out my transmission was toast.. The PTU is designed to run the same oil for the "life of the vehicle" However, by poor design by Ford, its right next to the engine/exhaust and because of this, gets STUPID hot which causes the oil to clump up. When it does, there is actually less oil moving around, which was also my issue. New transmission and a PTU clean out, no more issues.

here! Tell me what you think it is guys?

Hey, did you find out what the problem was? My 2016 Explorer is doing this as well and nobody can figure it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, did you find out what the problem was? My 2016 Explorer is doing this as well and nobody can figure it out.
FYI, the thread starter was last seen here on May 27, 2020. Good luck.

Peter

Back