• Register Today It's free!

Crack down rear tailgate

wilpetty

Reaction score
City, State
austin tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xlt
Anyone have the crack on the "trunk". If so, where did you order the replacement panel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably every second one has that thing. It probably would brake again and they cost around $ 100.

Put in a lift gate from a 4th gen. :laugh:

Nearly every 3rd gen Explorer/Mountaineer has a cracked upper face plate on the hatch and those that don't have probably had the original one replaced. I am surprised when I am behind one in traffic and there isn't a crack showing. I owned two 3rd gens and each had this crack. I just lived with it.

I've seen them for sale at Rock Auto. My early build 2002 still has the original one, unbroken.

Probably every second one has that thing. It probably would brake again and they cost around $ 100.
getting more common than that. It sticks out to me when I see one that isn't busted now.

I replaced the plastic piece on my early 2002 about a year ago. They break because Ford used a glue that would not allow movement between the glass and the plastic which expands at different rates with temperature change. I used a liberal amount of silicone to attach mine. Silicon will allow movement between the plastic and glass.

My 2003 has cracks too. Just not sure it's worth fixing

my 2004 was one of the rare uncracked Explorers. Then last year it finally cracked. I threw some silicon into the crack so that water doesn't seep down inside. Now it looks horrible. Considering putting in some bondo and painting.

my 2004 was one of the rare uncracked Explorers. Then last year it finally cracked. I threw some silicon into the crack so that water doesn't seep down inside. Now it looks horrible. Considering putting in some bondo and painting.

I could see the crack on my 2002 XLT change in width from the cooler mornings to the heat of the afternoon. I don't think Bondo would hold and if it did then a crack would appear elsewhere.

I could see the crack on my 2002 XLT change in width from the cooler mornings to the heat of the afternoon. I don't think Bondo would hold and if it did then a crack would appear elsewhere.

Probably why it cracks in the first place.

I put the silicon on in the fall when it was warm, flush. Now it it has contracted and pushed the silicon out from the crack some.

Forget about trying to repair this with bondo. I tried it and the first time out in the hot sun I had a worse mess than I started with. Complete waste of time and materials. I just removed it using a Dremel tool to cut it into small manageable pieces. If using silicone to install a new one make sure it is not expired. Old silicone will not set up.

Who is the best vendor for this part? Any recommendations? I see some going for around $60 which seems reasonable

Found one on ebay for about 40 bucks, it came gloss black and my explorer was black so it didn't need to be painted, get some 3M adhesive tape, swap over the ford emblem and your good. This same one was 41 bucks 4 months ago, it's gone up now but this was one I ordered.
New Rear Hatch Lift Gate Applique Panel Moulding For Ford Explorer 2002-2005 | eBay

Same one I used I think. It's supposed to be better made than the OEM. My body shop painted it for free and 20 minutes with a putty knife to get the old one off, another 20 minutes to "clean up" the panel under the rear glass, a tube and a half of clear silicone, some plastic clamps (I used 8) and towels to protect the paint. Let sit for 24 or so hours or overnight (don't worry about the hatch staying open, after about 15 minutes or so, a timer shuts down the interior lighting) and it was a done deal for me. I used the silicone because it would allow the new panel to flex somewhat with heat/cold cycles, but I think 2 sided tape would work ok too.

Back