Solved - No reverse lights. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved No reverse lights.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Gabeodog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer PIU
Hey Gang!

I Have a 2017 PIU and My reverse lights don't work. I passed state inspection in OCT, so they worked then. since then i i made a few FORSCAN changes and I guess that might have made them go. Its both sides. so I'm figuring fuse or i screwed up on FORSCAN. Any suggestions would be awesome. TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does reverse gear work? Did you check the ground wiring going to the bulbs for corrosion?
Thanks for the response! Reverse does engage rev camera activates. I just find it perplexing that both are out. is there a forscan code I could have messed up?

......... is there a forscan code I could have messed up?
I'm not a FORScan user or overly familiar with it but I guess you could start by reversing some of the changes to see if that fixes that problem. Good luck.

Peter

I'm not a FORScan user or overly familiar with it but I guess you could start by reversing some of the changes to see if that fixes that problem. Good luck.

Peter
YA sorta my thoughts, I looked at the changes i have made or could have made and there are no "turn rev lights off " codes. Ill take a fluke and ring them out. What are the chances of 2 bulbs out at once?

Also thinking it might be a fuse. I just don't know where it might be.

Check the owner's manual.
Unless the Owner's Manual for the 2017 PIU is different than that of the retail version, there is no fuse listed for the Reverse Lamps. The only fuse for any lamps is for the Demand Lamps. This all changed with the 2016 Manual. Prior to that there was a fuse shown for each light. There is however a 10A Trailer tow back-up lamp relay #81 listed in the engine bay fuse panel.

Peter

I don’t own a PIU, I have an 18 Sport and I had no reverse lights (Passenger or driver side) for a short period of time.

I checked the drivers side reverse light bulb and found it blown. I replaced it and then checked the passenger side bulb, it was ok.

I now have 2 reverse lights working again.
Is there something in the reverse light circuit that disables both the bulbs if one of them blows... I don’t know.

Point is, if you have stock reverse bulbs, check they aren’t blown or broken physically.

I don’t own a PIU, I have an 18 Sport and I had no reverse lights (Passenger or driver side) for a short period of time.

I checked the drivers side reverse light bulb and found it blown. I replaced it and then checked the passenger side bulb, it was ok.

I now have 2 reverse lights working again.
Is there something in the reverse light circuit that disables both the bulbs if one of them blows... I don’t know.

Point is, if you have stock reverse bulbs, check they aren’t blown or broken physically.
I will check tomorrow I have been out of town for a bit. Thanks for the reply!

I feel embarrassed, what would be the part#? for these lights.

I feel embarrassed, what would be the part#? for these lights.

Don’t quote me as I’m remembering off the top of my head but I believe they are 7440 bulbs.

Did you find a blown Bulb/Bulbs??

I have to do it tomorrow could not get outside today, worked to late.
Are they Led? I'm sure once i take on out i can tell.
It's killing me that i haven't had the time to do this simple task!

I have to do it tomorrow could not get outside today, worked to late.
Are they Led? I'm sure once i take on out i can tell.
It's killing me that i haven't had the time to do this simple task!

If you or the previous owner haven’t changed them, then they should be regular automotive lightbulbs and not LED.

Thanks for your reply, Well.....Have to laugh. Both bulbs were burnt out. it was an easy fix. I should have just checked them. I didn't think they could both be out.

Thanks for your reply, Well.....Have to laugh. Both bulbs were burnt out. it was an easy fix. I should have just checked them. I didn't think they could both be out.

That’s great!!

On mine I only had the drivers side bulb out but for some reason they both started working after I replaced the one.... no idea why!!

Back