Vehicle Tracking, Mileage, et al. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vehicle Tracking, Mileage, et al.

D

Deleted member 352744

Good Friends,

Being in law enforcement, I do not want my 2020 XLT tracked by Ford. Nor do I want mileage reported for a variety of reasons; all security-based.

After calling Ford, I was told that my dealer (Causeway Ford in Manahawkin, NJ) can turn the tracking/reporting off. I called the Service Dept. and they confirmed. They said they have done this for others in the past and find it a routine request.

I was informed that the process involves them keeping my Explorer for the majority of the day. Hence, my question is what will be done and why is it so time-consuming?

Out of sheer curiosity, I would be most appreciative if someone can give me the scoop.

Best Wishes for the Holidays to All!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I believe this is the first time this issue has been raised in either the 5th and 6th generation forums. Therefore, I'm not sure if there are too many members, if any, that have an insight to all that is required to accomplish what you've asked for. I'm sure there are others that would be interested in the answer.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peter

I too would be very interested in this service. It seems like Security 101. Also, are there any unintended consequences of having such service performed?

So here's the scoop to-date. (I'm the OP with a name change). Just got back from my selling dealer (Causeway Ford, Manahawkin, NJ). The Service Manager tells me with a grin: "you've started something!"

He proceeds to tell that a Ford Dealer somewhere in Texas called him asking how to turn off the tracking as he has several customers who also want this done. When my service guy inquires as to "why call me in Jersey?" he's told by the Texan that Ford Motor Company told him Causeway has the know-how to do this.

For me, the begging question is why would Ford leave it to an individual dealership to come up with this "fix"? If, in fact, this can be done and it does not void the warranty or impact other system, shouldn't the manufacturer hande it?

Prior to my 2020 XLT, I owned two GMC Terrains. In those cases, I merely had to call the Onstar help line. Onstar people read me a series of scripted questions and the conversation was recorded. The questions were diverse. Everything from the subject of emergency aid in case of accident to identifying mechanical issues that might be brewing. Once I gave consent, they simply pushed a few buttons on their end and Onstar went dead.

I have already turned off any switches (via the display) that speak to reporting data back to Ford. Is this enough? That's above my paygrade to answer. And, if it is enough, why then did Ford not know their product well enough to get it done self-service?

The Service Manager at my dealership in NJ had his interest piqued. He is doing some research and promised to call me within one week to report on what he finds.

To be continued...

Fred

Assuming the vehicle has SYNC3 with SYNC Connect, you just need to master reset the SYNC system and DO NOT enable the SYNC Connect system through the Ford Pass App. The other sure fire way is to locate the TCU (that's the modem that sends the data - its located behind the driver side read load space trim) and unplug the power plug.

Assuming the vehicle has SYNC3 with SYNC Connect, you just need to master reset the SYNC system and DO NOT enable the SYNC Connect system through the Ford Pass App. The other sure fire way is to locate the TCU (that's the modem that sends the data - its located behind the driver side read load space trim) and unplug the power plug.

Thanks, Jason. I will share this with the NJ Service Manager. I have SYNC 3.4.

Can I do the master SYNC reset myself or is this a dealership thing?

I'm just amazed at how this issue seems to be growing internally with Ford.

Happy 2020 and thank you!

Fred

Update - forwarded Jason's "fixes" to my dealership's service manger. He opined that by removing power to the onboard modem would create new (unspecified) problems.

I did confer with a federal attorney friend. He assures me that Ford has no right to surveillance. To endow that right would require a specific, signed authorization from me. Obviously, no such document exists.

The beat goes on...

Update - forwarded Jason's "fixes" to my dealership's service manger. He opined that by removing power to the onboard modem would create new (unspecified) problems.

The only issue would be a DTC set in the SYNC System (APIM) for not seeing the TCU (telematics) unit. Service people don't know the details of stuff like this. You would be fine pulling the plug on it.

The only issue would be a DTC set in the SYNC System (APIM) for not seeing the TCU (telematics) unit. Service people don't know the details of stuff like this. You would be fine pulling the plug on it.

I'm gonna give it a shot, Jason. If I recall, I need to remove the trim panel on the driver side of the luggage area to access the modem? Will I need any tools? I am quite the unhandy man!

Thank you once again. Your guidance is richly appreciated!

Fred

I'm gonna give it a shot, Jason. If I recall, I need to remove the trim panel on the driver side of the luggage area to access the modem? Will I need any tools? I am quite the unhandy man!

Thank you once again. Your guidance is richly appreciated!

Fred
I am curious as to what you found out. Did pulling the Power stop the tracking? Have you had any issues since? I just bought a 2020 Explorer today and am curious about this.

I am curious as to what you found out. Did pulling the Power stop the tracking? Have you had any issues since? I just bought a 2020 Explorer today and am curious about this.

We left for Florida and return to Jersey in a few weeks - the car is locked up there. Once I give it a shot, I will post.

Regrads,

Fred

We left for Florida and return to Jersey in a few weeks - the car is locked up there. Once I give it a shot, I will post.

Regrads,

Fred
Thanks, I appreciate it.

So here's the scoop to-date. (I'm the OP with a name change). Just got back from my selling dealer (Causeway Ford, Manahawkin, NJ). The Service Manager tells me with a grin: "you've started something!"

He proceeds to tell that a Ford Dealer somewhere in Texas called him asking how to turn off the tracking as he has several customers who also want this done. When my service guy inquires as to "why call me in Jersey?" he's told by the Texan that Ford Motor Company told him Causeway has the know-how to do this.

Fred, I was so happy to find your posts on the forum. Been trying to figure out how to sever the data connection/modem in my 2020 Explorer XLT for about two weeks now. Ford Customer Service (online chat and phone) directed me to use the touch screen menu options, but these only appear to disable data sharing with Ford, not terminate all transmission of data (e.g., to AT&T, the wireless service provider); in other words, the car is still broadcasting itself.

1. Could you share what your Causeway dealer did in the shop to terminate the data connection? And, if it's not too much trouble (PM me if you prefer), do you have a contact for the person there who knows how to do it? My local dealer service center is acting like I've asked them to reinvent the wheel with my request. I'd love to point them to someone who can give them a quick how-to.

2. Did you ever attempt to unplug the power cable from the modem in your Explorer? If so, how'd it go? Can you confirm where the modem's located in the 2020 Explorer?

Thanks in advance, Jason

Fred, I was so happy to find your posts on the forum. Been trying to figure out how to sever the data connection/modem in my 2020 Explorer XLT for about two weeks now. Ford Customer Service (online chat and phone) directed me to use the touch screen menu options, but these only appear to disable data sharing with Ford, not terminate all transmission of data (e.g., to AT&T, the wireless service provider); in other words, the car is still broadcasting itself.

1. Could you share what your Causeway dealer did in the shop to terminate the data connection? And, if it's not too much trouble (PM me if you prefer), do you have a contact for the person there who knows how to do it? My local dealer service center is acting like I've asked them to reinvent the wheel with my request. I'd love to point them to someone who can give them a quick how-to.

2. Did you ever attempt to unplug the power cable from the modem in your Explorer? If so, how'd it go? Can you confirm where the modem's located in the 2020 Explorer?

Thanks in advance, Jason
Has anyone else had any luck with getting a dealer service center to disable the data connection/modem?

Back