front converter brass bushing on a4ld tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front converter brass bushing on a4ld tranny

iroczddp

Reaction score
City, State
dallas, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie bauer 4X4
ok i have had a problem with another tranny that the converter's front brass bushing gets loose and then slides forward and touches the front seal and then pukes out all the fluid.... what can i do to stop this... i am about to buy a new converter housing but dont know if its going to have the bushing or not.... also how would i line the pump back up? please tranny guys help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

make sure the bushing gets "staked" there is a notch in the housing and when the bushing is put in it is hit with a punch to make a "dent" in the bushing to keep it from moving lineing the pump back up is more difficult if you dont have much tranny experiance .........then a special tool is required.....why buy a new pump housing????????? if it is not eaten out real bad then you should be able to change the bushing and be done

The bushing should also be pressed into the housing, brass is the bushing material of choice.

The converter itself should be checked for excessive run out on the hub. The A4LD runs very very tight tolerances on the front pump seal...

And yes it should be staked ito place when the new bushing is pressed in.

what a PITA that sucker is! Nothing like seeing white smoke in the rear view with the boat in tow 1/2 way to the lake!

If you replace the bushing it needs to be turned in place. Use the babbited one. Also use red locktite on it. and make sure it is staked well 4 stakes is minimal, 6 is better. The pump will need to be aligned using the OTC tool, or some facsimile thereof to prevent front bushing seal failure. If the bushing is THAT loose you may want to investigate another bellhousing.

I have also heard that with a little machine work the A4LD can be converted to a soft type seal :)

Update

pulled out the tranny in bout an hour.... and pulled off the converter...and the front seal came off with the converter.... so i went to the parts store and got me a new one and staked it in real real good... so it souldnt leak any more.... :) now i get to return the bell housing back to ford to get my 150 back :) thanks for all yalls help.....yea mine blew after i went to go pick up my broken down trams am and on the highway back SMOKE TEST lol wanna talk about people changing lanes real fast lol.....

no no no the bushing needs to be staked becouse that is what is pushing the seal out dont get me wrong the seal should be too but most deffinatly the bushing

the bushing doesnt moove... and the seal fixed the leak :) thanks guys

ok but it will leak again yes the bushing doesnt move by hand but it does by torque trust me i pulled the same tranny twice becouse i didnt belive the tech at ford when he told me to replace the bushing too your call man maybe you will get lucky :)

thanks for the warning but i also have had that problem... and when the bushing slides/walks forward... it doesnt slide or walk back there for when the tranny was pulled the bushing should have been slid forward towards the seal thus bypassing the drain hole on the bellhousing... but wouldnt cause the seal to "blow off" the bell housing and sit on the converter when i pulled it off.... already bought the bellhousing and mic'd the bushing placement and both were the same appears to have been a new belhousing anyways... this problem was also confirmed by a ford SVT tech that is on this board that has rebuild and repaired many of these trannys for this same problem.... but agian thanks..

Back