• Register Today It's free!

speedo problems

ammo troop

Reaction score
City, State
Perry County Ahia (Ohio)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 "BAD"Sport"
Little help...please, I have a 92' ranger, 2.3 5spd. I have thought for awhile now that my speedo was off, well today Johnny Law confirmed this suspicion (sp) for me, clocked me at 68 in a 55. Now I always do the speed limit on this stretch of road (55mph) cause it is a big speed trap area and I was only doing 55 by my speedo, Nice guy though, gave me a "friendly warning" which I do appreciate and helped me out further by pacing me and letting me know when I reached 55mph, which is 43mph on my speedo. What do I need to to replace on my truck to bring the speedo to register correctly? No performance mods on my truck, stock tires etc... Thanks in advance for the help

Ammo Troop

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A little help??

most places will calibrate spedometers for pretty cheap. You might want to call around

you should be able to take it to any local dealership. If you have done any gear or tire changes that offsets your speedo one way or another.

There is a changeable gear on the end of the speedometer cable that goes into the transmission or transfer case (4WD). You need to the correct tooth-count gear, depending on your gear ratio and tire height.

The parts dept. of good Ford dealerships will have a chart listing tire height vs. gear ratio, and listing the p/n of the required part. Get the correct one, and you can change it a couple of minutes.

pull your speedo gear out and get one with 2 less teeth. Or since its still in stock form pull it out and see if the gear is still good.

Back