Wiring problems? Weird stuff going on... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring problems? Weird stuff going on...

headrush

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
Ok this has been going on for a while now, nothing serious, but it's getting annoying and I feel like all these problems are connected somehow.

First off, when I go to put on my turn signal, sometimes I'll get this loud, annoying buzzing sound when my steering wheel is in a certain position it seems like. I'll turn off my signal, and the loud buzzing will stop. Also, I notice ocassionally, (especially on hot days) when I put on my signal, a thin layer of smoke will rise from the steering column. Then, the last problem I've been having (which has been going on the longest) is the lighting around the driver's side. The cruise control buttons and on/off headlight knob will light up some nights, and others they won't. These little things are getting to be quite a headache. Has anyone had anything like this happen with their Explorer, or better yet know how to fix it? I'm thinking it's a wiring problem myself, but I'd appreciate anyone's input on the situation. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most def. bumping this up since like 2 or 3 of the same ppl has posted two or more threads...anybody?

sorry i cant help but it's funny you mention the buzzing noise... when i first had my explorer i got that noise occasionally when i turned on the signal.. i think it only did it to me in the winter though.. never have i had any other problems .. just that buzzing noise occasionally.. so at least you're not alone

All the symptoms have one item in common. The multi-function switch.

Problem 1:
Buzzing noise – I had the same problem, that went away for over a year, then came back almost every time I made a turn. I replaced the multi function switch (ebay $30) and it hasn’t happened since.

Problem 2:
Smoke from steering column – can’t explain this one. Anyone else?

Problem 3:
Lights in the cruse control buttons. There is a very tiny bulb inside you can probably get from Ford. Remove the switch to get at it. On my 96, I had to take the air bag out, and then the screws for the on/off cruise are visible. Remove the wire ribbon and 2 screws. The rubber part of the buttons will separate from the plastic. You will see the blue bulb. Or get another set of buttons at a junk yard. Here in Florida the sun had dried the rubber on mine, and it crumbled when I tried to take it apart. I went to the junk yard.

I had a simmilar problem with the left turn signal buzzing and also had the lowbeams go out. I changed the multi switch and it fixed the problem for a few months until the buzzing came back intermittantly. I was checking the wiring and it turned out that the upper wiring block on the multi switch was a green (I think) wire that was loose. I guess that when I used the tilt wheel, it pushed the wire in. It had come out of the block so I pushed it back in and zip tied it to an adjoining wire. Hasn't happened since.

Thanks guys. The multi-function switch thing I will check on when I get my car back. Right now I'm getting the tranny fluid and radiator coolant flushed/changed and trying to get the A/C fixed as well. As for that bulb that Curtis mentioned, I'll check that out as well. Thanks again.

Ok, well I still haven't gotten any of these problems fixed, I've just never had the time. Now that I do have some time, I at least want to fix the bulb for the tachometer and cruise control buttons. The illumination behind my RPM gauge is beginning to fade out now. Anybody know of the best place to go to get this fixed other than the Ford dealership itself? I'm afraid to mess with taking the steering wheel apart or anything like that.

Thanks.

Smke tends to mean short. A bad one. Sounds like maybe a hot wire got rubbed the wrong way one too many times and is now grounding to the column, definately don't wait on getting that fixed, could be dangerous.

That multi function switch is about $65 and it does more functions than you can imagine. I went after a wiring problem with the trailer lights and ended up solving all kinds of issues with that switch. All of a sudden the blinkers worked correctly, my high beams didn't blow a fuse, and I have lighting to my trailer lights (they crossover at that switch.) It's not hard to do but make sure you disconnect the battery so you don't accidentally trigger the air bag!

Back