New 5.0L Headers are HERE! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 5.0L Headers are HERE!

I hate to say it Section but your TQ is horrible. You should be at LEAST at round 250-260ftlbs. Stock our trucks are rated at 300ftlbs and with your mods and considering drivetrain loss you should at least be at 260. How are your plugs looking? Is she running rich or lean? Not really much you can do being able to adjust the timing. Also if you have a chip and your not on a pay-per-pull dyno try it without the chip.

So did you just pull the front driveshaft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I had the front driveshaft pulled. Pulled it a few weeks ago just for kicks. As far as these numbers.. I think they're both low. The guy was telling me that he has Z28 350s dyno just a tad better than I did. But we'll see.

On a side note: The passenger side header is on and done! :cool:

Sweet!! Are they going on easier than stock? Remember I got first dibs on your FMS ones :)

How do the extra flanges seal? Just Copper RTV or a special gasket? or both?

With just bolt ons and stock heads/stock cam/stock intake I put 226hp and 270ft-lbs to the wheels. (in the stang that is) most stone stock AOD Mustangs do about 180 but you've got rockers a cam, GT-40P heads. We need to get a little tuning done :) If those headers really do throw on 40ft-lbs of TQ I'd spend 600$ on them!

Pass. side:

Attachments

• header1.jpg
    header1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 3,944

SWEEEEET!!! I hope you get a sound clip.

Hey you got one of those wierd ass extra A-arms on your passanger side suspension too! I heard they were to help prevent roll overs?

you would seriously have to tear down the motor to get those in there if you dont have a body lift!

and boy those bolts look like they were fun to put in!

boominXplorer said:
you would seriously have to tear down the motor to get those in there if you dont have a body lift!

No comment. :p

But! Robert installed some on a stocker Explorer. So it is doable. Also, I know that heater box dealio is easy to get out cause I took it out for my cam install.

I was just at Home Depot and Kragen trying to find a plug for the EGR bung! :banghead: Nothing! I'll have to get it welded up tomorrow.

boominXplorer said:
and boy those bolts look like they were fun to put in!

They were actually all really easy. The tear-down and install of that side took under an hour. :smoke:

section525 said:
I was just at Home Depot and Kragen trying to find a plug for the EGR bung! :banghead: Nothing! I'll have to get it welded up tomorrow.

I got somethin for ya... I'll get you on IM

These are how tight my FMS headers fit
12558tight_header.jpg

section525, were these headers designed for the stock body? You obviously have more room around the air conditioner, but wow it is tight!
How do the welds inside the pipes look? Are they smooth and recessed?
I tested my 98 Mountaineer AWD recently, and I was also disappointed. I pulled 17.6 seconds in a 1/4 mile, and 10 seconds to 60MPH. It feels quicker than a 2.9 second 60 foot also, but whatever, that's stock.
Keep us posted, and thanks.
DW :chug:

Well, I ran into a situation on the driver's side. With the body lift being on there it's given me two problems. One being the steering shaft now runs higher and hits one of the tubes (that it wouldn't hit if it was 3" lower) and the second is the steering extension is so wide that it hits where it wouldn't if it was stock as well. But I have an idea to solve this problem.. but I am going to wait until tomorrow. But for now.. here are pictures of the differences between the two.

Attachments

• comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 846
  • comp2.jpg
    comp2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,175

My sheet. As you can see it made pretty good consistant power through out the band.

Attachments

• dynorun.jpg
    dynorun.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 827

Beefy. Keep us updated!!!

I'd be VERY interested to see the pics (and corresponding long-term heat exposure) of the headers in a stock X. Right now I have images of melting wires, plastic, etc due to the closeness of the heat of the headers. If this problem is avoided, then I'd be more than happy to purchase a set.

-B

I cant find the subscribe to this thread button so here is my useless post just to keep updated!

How does it feel with the cam? Better/worse than with the FMS headers?

how thick is that flange? looks pretty thin????

but then it could just be the pic....

$700 is not totally insane for a set of treated headers...

Well I ran into a little problem on the passenger side and I'm not sure what to do about it.

With the body lift, the steering shaft is now 3" higher than it should be. Plus, there's the giant shaft extension there too. Anyway, the extension rubs against the header (without the bolts being in it) and with the extension bolted in, the head of nut would really get in the way.

So, I can either try and get a new, more slim, extension made and hope that works, take out the body lift and throw on some 17s and sway bars, or take the body lift off and get a 4" suspension.

None of these answers can be done today though. So I might have to put the FMS one back on for now. And the passenger side is getting the EGR cap made. :banghead:

Here is a picture of the problem. The red line is roughly where a stock steering shaft would go. :(

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 871

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

section525 said:
...or take the body lift off and get a 4" suspension.

That really $ucks man. I know the feeling all too well.

I highlighted your best option!! Though it's expensive, it'll be worth it.

Seeing the headers in place, they look amazing. How is spark plug access?

Back