Best driving lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best driving lights?

BoatsRcool

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville SC (Home) Clemson SC (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
GMC Yukon 4x4
I just got a brush guard, and I am looking for two round driving lights for the front end.

I have thought about Hella 500's and I was wondering, whats everyone's opinion on the best bang for the buck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had good luck w/ Hella and PIAA. For the $$$ Hella all the way. I have a set of 550's off of my 94 that is now on my brother in-law's jeep and still working. My PIAA 520's have served me well, just alot of $$$ off the shelf.

I'm partial to my KC Daylighters. Great lights and a 23 year warranty.

thanks guys - i got hella 500's -

question, so many wires, and the directions are awful, is there a write up anywhere on installing hellas?

I just installed my Hella's this past weekend. I agree the instruction sheet is poorly constructed... I can put together a write up with a color coded diagram and instruction sheet... The sheet they give you details 2 different ways you can wire the lights. The 1st way is to use the enclosed Hella switch to turn the lights on/off. the 2nd way is to omit the switch and tap into you vehicles High beam circuit (so the lights would come on whenever you turned your high beams on. Most People prefer to use the switch as it allows you independant control.

My Hella 500s

yeah man, i would love a colored write up, that would help a ton. your truck looks good.

dang, ok i did everything right i know it .... it wont work!

from the light - i took blue to the frame (for ground)
from the light bulb - i took black to the relay
i hooked everything else up right i know it... but i can't get it working...

i am not hooking to my high beams.. is that a problem? i just took the yellow and put it on the switch... help!

JDraper said:
I'm partial to my KC Daylighters. Great lights and a 23 year warranty.

Ditto. But kind of late.

In Hella's instruction sheet the first diagram using the switch is WRONG. In their diagram they show relay terminal 87 going to ground. The relay is using terminals 85 & 86 to actuate the switch (thus connecting terminals 30 and 87 together).

Relay
30 Red wire to battery
87 Black wires to lights
85 Yellow wire from Switch
86 Ground

Here is the correct diagram
18205Hella_Wiring.jpg

sweet ill check it out tomorrow... thanks a ton man - but would it matter if the relay ground and one of the lights were grounded on the same frame bolt?
do you have to tap into your lights, or can i just not use the green wire at all and not have only the switch to activate the lights?
also, why the hell would hella make half crapped instructions?

It does NOT matter where you attach the ground wires, but make sure the connection is good (I use some fine sandpaper to clean up the ground location to ensure a good connection).

Basically there are 2 completely separate electrical circuits. One circuit actuates a relay (85 & 86), The other connects a large gauge wire from the battery to the lights (30 & 87). These circuits are mutually exclusive in that no electrical connection exists between them. As such the green wire to the switch is REQUIRED and Needs 12v to actuate the relay. You can use any 12v source for the green wire, but by taping into the existing Parking light circuit you will have the benefit of the lights on warning chime. It only takes a few hours for these lights to drain your battery so this benefit is one not to be taken lightly.

1820512v_Relay_WEB.jpg

thanks so far, i am still working on it... how can i find out where my parking light circuit is?

I have a Haynes Manual that has electrical schematics in the back. The wire colors were different so I used a multimeter to locate the correct wire in my wiring distribution block. (Do you need instructions on how to use a meter this way?) You could also take off part of your dash to reveal the parking light switch and tap into the wires right there. I actually rewired my Hella switch to be connected to my HIGH Beam circuit. Several other members commented on it being a better setup and they were right. See My Hella thread I drove around for a week with my switch wired to my parking lights. When ever I wanted the Hella's on I had to press the Hella switch. This got old pretty fast when on comming traffic appeared I had to fumbled around to switch them off. Being wired to the high beams allows you to keep the Hella Switch On all the time. Whenever you turn your high beams On the Hella switch will glow green and fire up the Hellas instantly. If you don't want the Hellas coming on with the High beams then just shut the switch off...

ok, well i have a yukon - my parking light switch is near where i am going to mount the hella switch... can i wire them to my fog light switch? I am going to work on it tomorrow... but it wont work unless its on something 12v right?

can i hook the green to my battery to test it?

is there any way i can tap my brights at the fuse box location?

When the green wire for the switch recieves 12v the lights will go on when the switch in toggled on, so yes you can connect this wire to any 12v wire or directly to the battery. I used a multimeter with the black pin wire clipped to a solid ground. I used the Red pin to prob the wires to see which one had 12v when the brights were on and 0v when brights off.

Once you get the hella's up and running you'll love them! :)

Im about to get some PIAA 550's does any one have them? if so what do you think?

On the subject of bang for the buck, I got a pair of SRB fogs off eBay. They retail for $70 but I got them for $25 shipped because the guy just wanted to get rid of them. They're awesome lights. Very bright, good color (Bright white, no yellow), high quality, and were very easy install. So if you're on a budget but want a good set of fogs, I'd check into SRB.

i have a question...

i got them working great - I just hooked up the other line to the battery by the way...

anyways, after 2 days they dont work! everytime i put a new fuse in it blows it... whats going on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the new fuse blow instantly or do the lights work for a short while? In any case you will need to inspect where the power wire was routed. Any sharp metal the wire passes over can wear through the wires insulation just by the Vehicles normal vibrations. So trace the wire from the battery to the lights and see if it is grounding some where..

Back