• Register Today It's free!

Mercon V or Dexron III

lugofam

Reaction score
City, State
Newark, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to be flushing my tranny this week. Is it okay to use Mercon V tranny fluid in my 96 XLT 4.0 w/138k miles or should I stick with the Dexron III.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your 96 should use Mercon V..

The Mercon V spec for Explorers didn't start until 1997 with the introduction of the 5r55e.

BradE. said:
The Mercon V spec for Explorers didn't start until 1997 with the introduction of the 5r55e.

Ahh Didn't know that.. I thought it started in 1995 or 1996.

The specs for your truck are Mercon III. However, Merc V will work well and is recommended if you've had a rebuild.

just to double check; a 98 with a 5r55e WILL use mercon V, right?

Dextron is for GM vehicles as I understand it?

00XLS said:
Dextron is for GM vehicles as I understand it?

Yes but the Mercon and Dextron must be the same since most ATFs are labled on the same bottle.

tbomb said:
just to double check; a 98 with a 5r55e WILL use mercon V, right?

bump. anyone?

So with my 96?

Well the Haynes manual just says Mercon V for all. It does not state different fluids for different years. Does this mean that Mercon V can be used even if the earlier models did not use it. So with my 96 I should be fine with using Mercon V right?

IIRC, the Mercon V spec started with the 4R44E in 95. Previous years with the A4LD used Mercon/Dexron III, which is a dual specification fluid for both GM and Ford.

If in doubt, check the dipstick. It will clearly state if Mercon V is required.

my 97 5R55E is running Dextron, I had the trans rebuilt a few months back and thats what they told me to use, so im using it.... works fine for me

It says what type you should use on your dipstick. I have a 97 and it says to mercon V. I ran dexron III and it shifted wrong. Once I added a friction modifier to the fluid (makes it Mercon V without the big pricetag) now its running great

caldi55 said:
It says what type you should use on your dipstick. I have a 97 and it says to mercon V. I ran dexron III and it shifted wrong. Once I added a friction modifier to the fluid (makes it Mercon V without the big pricetag) now its running great

How was she shifting wrong on raw dextron? You have a SOHC with a 5R55E right?

It wouldn't upshift untill it was atleast 1000rpm higher than normal. The hotter it got (from sitting cold) the worse it became it was even slipping a little.

Back