2001ExpSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
FYI-Torsion Bars

I know a lot of you have had questions about these torsion bars including myself. I talked to Ford today and got the skinny on these bars. There is only one type of torsion bar you can get for the sport and it is code D. If you have a 4 dr you can get B, D and L code bars. I have a sport so I am out of luck on the B code bars. The 4dr and Sport bars cannot be swapped because they are different lengths.
The door sticker does NOT give the code for your bars, only for the rear springs. The TR code is the transmission code for those who thought it meant TR for torsion(me).

I was confused about this before so this is why I posted this. Hope this helps you guys out there.

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 08-24-2000 at 07:57 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's interesting, re. different lengths. Can you check the part numbers on the D code bars for the Sport as compared to the D code bars for the 4-door? If they are the same part number, then they are the same bar. The only reason I bring this up is that I thought that someone had put B code bars on their Sport. I could be entirely wrong here.

Also, check your door code, under the heading "SPR". Mine says DL indicating D code for the front and L for the rear. You're right about the transmission code though.

There should be an old thread on the forum about the rear spring codes if it's still around. Quite a few posted their spring codes, at least for the rear. I think it dates back to last summer or so.

Re: FYI-Torsion Bars

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
The door sticker does NOT give the code for your bars, only for the rear springs.

That is not true. The first letter in the "SPR" code is your front suspension code.

Ya, I looked on my door and TR is D. Little did I know that was the tranny. The spring code is D3, I assume the the 3 is the spring pack, I have 3 springs and a helper plus my add-a-leaf.

GJarret, the Ford tech told me specifically that the SPR code is the rear code only. I do question my code though, like I said it is D3. So, what your saying is that the D is my front and the 3 is my rear?

Tom, as for the part numbers I didn't ask if the 2dr and 4dr were the same. I gave him these numbers to go off of:

F57Z*5B326A
F57Z*5B327A

Basically I was trying to get B code bars for my truck. He told me these were numbers for a 4DR which I knew. I then asked what the part number was for the sport and he said there isn't one for B, sports only get the D bars. This guy was probably the most knowledgable Ford guy I have talked to in years. He pretty much told me that I can't get any other Tbars than what I have. At first he thought I was a Motorcraft supplier from the questions I was asking. ;)

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 08-22-2000 at 05:52 PM]

I don't think that the Ford guy is lying to you; he is going by the book. Sports are only sold with D code springs which is why they are the only ones listed for them. I'd be surprised if other sizes didn't fit, though. They just don't list them because they don't come that way from the factory.

The D3 sounds like the axle code to me. But, you have a 2001 so there may be a new spring code for rear leaves. Its interesting that you have a multi-leaf rear suspension as compared to the previous years, at least through 99 that have a single rear leaf. I can't speak for the pre-95 models which use different spring codes again.

This is interesting. You may want to check the door tag on a couple of other 2001's to try to develop a pattern. We did the same thing here last year for the late model Explorers.

It's William Schumaker that swapped out his D bars for B bars. You may want to contact his about how it worked out.

Now I thought I read somewhere here that the stiffer the t-bar the higher the resulting lift. If I get the b rated bars would I get higher than the d(ie. 1.75 in) rated bar?

Yes Tekeman

Tom here is a pic of my springpack.

View

Without the add-a-leaf, the pack sat on the helper.

Looks like the add-a-leaf did you some good. I'm glad that Ford ditched the single leaf rear springs. They may work fine on cars, but from my experience, they were very prone to sag, especially after a little weight was put on the back end.

From what I can see in your picture, the rear end hasn't changed other than the springs for 2001. Perhaps Ford was listening to a few sag complaints.

BTW, I wasn't trying to diss your friend at Ford. I just think he only has his computer to go by. Let's face it, most Explorer owners wouldn't dream of changing the spring rate on their vehicles, at least not up front. Doesn't help in the shopping center parking lot. :) You're looking into something that is rather unusual in the grand scheme of things. So, chances are that you are the only one that has approached that dealer looking for stiffer bars.

BTW-2, I honestly like the brick driveway. :)

Tekeman, the stronger torsion bars are capable of lifting more, but as you go higher, you increase the angle on your CV joints, which will increase wear on them. Most here recommend that you stay below 2" on the front lift unless you do some major changes such as lowering the front differential and dropping the suspension mounts (as the trailmaster kit does).

97 up and even my 2001 have the same chassis config. only the rear springs have changed.

Speaking of Trailmaster, they make a 4" lift for my vehicle as of now. A bit pricey($1365) so I am waiting.

The brick drivey isn't mine, but it is nice. :)

As for the Ford tech, you are probably right. He seemed a bit astonished when I started talking codes and bar lengths. ;)

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 08-22-2000 at 07:40 PM]

Thanks. It seems if it ain't one thing then its another.

I've got the same spring pak on my 97. I believe they are stock, and there are 4 leaves alltogther. I just ordered an Add-a-leaf kit last night, so I should be getting that in a few days. There is quite a bit of sag in the rear, especially on the drivers side.

Kilroy ... Sounds like you have a 4-door, which does come standard with a multi-leaf pack. Tom and 2001ExpSport have Sport models, 2-doors, which had been using a single leaf. Looks like that changed on 2-door models for 2001.

DOH

ME So silly! When the word sag was mentioned my ears pricked up, and not with Herculiner! I should be getting my add-a-leafs soon, so that I can find out what it is like to have a level truck.

B-Code Bars

Here's my .02!
I went to the Ford dealership in CT and they also did not know much about switching bars. They first sent me in the wrong direction and ordered the L bars. Second try... B bars were ordered and fit perfectly. My thought is that the front suspensions are the same from 2dr to 4dr. I crawled around under the Explorers on the ford lot! I've been really happy with the "B" bars. Much firmer ride, better handling, especially with the removal of the rear sway bars.
The code on the door lists both front and rear suspensions ie: DL as mentioned above. At least for the 95s.
More lift is achieved with less cranking/adjusting/turning of the adjuster bolt. More potential lift. I crank them up all the way only when going off road. Not on the street. Too much wear on the CVs. They also do a great job of keeping my 33" tires out of the fenderwells on compression.
The rear single leaves are ok for normal street driving. They suck for hauling any kind of load. Not much flex/articulation either. Time for an add a leaf...

2001, is that the same lift as the 98-00? And where did you hear about it? I have been seriously considering lifting mine...

Lewdog,

Yes, the lift you mentioned is the lift I was talking about. The lift will work because the frame and suspension components are the same as earlier years. So, the '00 is the same as the '01, just new body work. I saw the Trailmaster lift on a Ranger at Hank's 4x4 Jamboree last weekend. He must have just put it on 'cuz it was way too clean. I really want it, but I spent my money on tires, wheels, shocks, shackles and a safari rack. I thought that was more fun than a boring lift. ;)

So, here's the site.

http://www.natltire.com/pages/ford5.html#Anchor-Trail-11481

ExplorGM-So, are you saying that the tbars fit on your sport? The big mystery here is if the b bars for a 4dr will fit on a 2dr. Never the less, what were the part numbers? If you have them, please post them. Thanks!

2001, I just looked at your truck. Is that pic after the torsion twist? And are those 16" rims? Your truck looks just like mine

Yup, has and add-a-leaf and twist. This pic was taken about a month after I did the twist and add-a-leaf. When I pulled it out of the garage I had 1.5" all around. Basically the tbars and leafs settled down .5". So after all is said and done I gained just over an 1" in front and about 1" in the back. Less than I thought I would get. I plan to get these B code tbars if I can and I have shackles on the way to give me 1.5" more in the rear.

The stock '01 is lower, I parked next to one in a Ford lot and mine is just over an 1" taller at the mirrors. I know it doesn't look like much, but anything helps. I was a bit disappointed, but what do you expect for $35?

Yes, those are the stock 16's. I will be pulling them off as soon as my tires and wheels come in. I am going to run 31" BFG MT's on 15's.

Click that link again, I have a different pic up, gives a better comparison. That was the morning after the work was done.

[Edited by 2001ExpSport on 08-24-2000 at 07:20 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The numbers you mentioned above are the ones I used for my truck.F57Z*5B326A and 327A. They fit fine! Also on my (2nd page) web page (lift instructions) I have some numbers for longer sway bar links from Ford. Gave me another 1/2" or so of lift.
Rick

Back