Tucson Labor Day Week | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tucson Labor Day Week

Blaine122300 said:
DM= Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. It is connected to Tucson. The front gate is on Craycroft. You should check it out if you are ever up in Tucson.

I'll have to check it out the next time I'm up that way. Still waiting on getting my truck out here, doesn't look like it'll happen this week. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tombstone and Bisbee

OK... I am also stationed down here at Huachuca with Doug. I live out in Hereford (in the middle of nowhere) but Bisbee is only about 20-25 mins from my house driving slow. Tombstone is only about 30-40 mins TOPS. I know Bigtigexplorer also lives down here near me so I will guide him to this post and let him know about it. I'll hafta talk to my wife and see what she thinks but I should be able to do something. I'll post some more later.

That's great! As a reminder, Tombstone and Bisbee are not planned for 4 wheeling - only exploring/sightseeing. Unless, of course, you know of any trails in the area.......

Scott Bosso said:
It looks like Monday is the day.

I think we should ride trails 73 and 72. I believe these are Gunsight Pass and Gardner Canyon (Rick? - I did not bring my trail book to work.) These should take us most of the day.

Where should we meet? Sonoita, trailhead for 73, trailhead for 72, intersection of I-10 and Hwy 83?
do you have a mapquest shot of where you want to meet?
I should be able attend.

I looked in MapQuest, but the level of detail is in this area is non-existant!

We can meet at the trailhead to 73 - there is a verbal description of the location in my trail book (which is at home). I will bring the book in, and post the description tomorrow.

We could meet in Sonoita, but coming from the North, you will have a few miles of extra driving. I'll leave that decision up to you.

Cool,
Laurie is a little iffy about me going, but I am still working on getting her support!

Yes - That is trail 72 (starting at FR 231), which we plan to run in the afternoon. Trail 73 is about 10 miles south on Hwy 83, starting at FR 92.

72 actually runs all the way through to I-19. 73 we will ride as a loop, ending where we started.

Rick,
Maybe I can meet you some where and we could drive the rest of the way down together.
That way I won't get lost.

Well, It looks like I might have my truck out here in time for Labor day. Got insurance on it tonight and I'm going to call up the shipping company tomorrow and get that arranged, hopefully I'll be driving by next weekend. :D

Will a 96 2 wd make it on gun site?I live iin tucson north side.Would be willing to go if my ex will make it.I not afraid to be ruff on it but I dont want to kill it. :roll:

Itinerary and Meeting Place

Monday, we are going to run 2 trails 73 - Gardner Canyon and 72 - Gunsite Pass.

Garder Canyon - Rated moderate (mostly easy except for 1 rocky hill,) muddy when wet. Loop trail 18.3 miles long. Many side roads to explore. Trailhead is 0.7 miles south of mile marker 38 on Hwy 83.

Gunsite Pass - Rated moderate, climbs to 5000 feet. (I bet the views are incredible!) Trail is 23 miles long. Helvetia townsite and cemetery. Trailhead is 0.4 miles south of mile mile marker 47 on Hwy 83.

We can meet at the trailhead to Trail 73 - Gardner Canyon. To get there, follow Hwy 83 south from Exit 281 of I-10 (south of Tucson.) Let's meet between 8:00 and 8:30, so we can be on the trail before 9:00 am. That way we will have plenty of time to explore the side roads, towns, mines, etc.

Remember, have a full tank of gas, (maybe an extra can, too), lunch, extra drinking water, and all the essentials for your truck.

I have maps for you all, also. If I had a scanner, I would post them.

If anyone drives through Patagonia, DO NOT exceed the speed limit, or your wallet will be lightened accordingly.

I drive a white Ranger SuperCab with a shell, moderate lift, and tinted windows. My Dad drives a similar, not lifted Ranger, but he might be riding with me. I will park in a prominent place.

CB channel 4, call for "Serious Explorations"!

4544x4 said:
Will a 96 2 wd make it on gun site?I live iin tucson north side.Would be willing to go if my ex will make it.I not afraid to be ruff on it but I dont want to kill it. :roll:

I don't know how to answer this - I have not driven the trail. With aggressive tires, a limited slip and mild lift (and tow hooks), with driver skill (and an occasional tug) you should be OK.

Doug said:
Well, It looks like I might have my truck out here in time for Labor day. Got insurance on it tonight and I'm going to call up the shipping company tomorrow and get that arranged, hopefully I'll be driving by next weekend. :D

Which days are you planning on joining us?

Things are looking pretty bad right now... Char just got into an accident with our Dodge today. She rear ended someone in a chain reaction fender bender. It pushed the Dodges bumper back into the condensor and intercooler. I'm pretty sure the intercooler is cracked since the truck overheated on her on the way home from work. The radiator was still full, no leakage, but the check engine light came on and she looked at the temp gauge and it was at 245.

If we don't get it back by the weekend we can't get the Explorer down there. If there is an open seat I would love to be a passenger with one of you guys since I can always drive down in the Mustang. Of course I'll just stay in a hotel instead of the camper.

That sucks rick, hopefully everything will work out. I won't be able to make it either, my truck isn't going to be here for another 2 weeks.

Problem for me now too.

My tranny is giving me problems. On Saturday, it was slipping horribly, and by days end I only had 1st gear.
well I pulled the tranny pan and valve body, and well, it was really cruddy. Like someone smeared wet clay on the top of it.
Well, now I am waiting for the new gasket from ford and a shift improver kit from an online store.
It should be together by Friday, and (cross my fingers) everything works like normal after the thouough cleaning.
I will post my results after I get it all back together. But as of now, it is a 50-50 chance of making it depending on how my tranny turns out.

Wish me luck.

Rick said:
If there is an open seat I would love to be a passenger with one of you guys since I can always drive down in the Mustang.

Rick,

Sorry to hear about the accident - at least Char is OK.

We have 2 empty seats, so come on down and ride.

Can't you drive the Explorer down to Tucson? It's not that far! ;)

This is my last post - I am leaving in the morning for Tucson! If any of you can make it, just meet us Monday morning at the trailhead.

Rick, I sent you a PM with my cell phone number. Call me if you want to come down and ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got home Sunday night - a good trip, and I drove about 4200 miles.

I need to get my pictures processed, and I will do a writeup this week.

Sorry you guys could not make it - we had some good 4 wheeling.

Back