Where are all the Virginia Explorers?? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where are all the Virginia Explorers??

So Hokie did you go the game last Saturday? You think that students dont miss games, wait til you are an alumni. My brother is one, he has season tickets, and he went to the game Saturday. I think that it is more acceptable to mis a VT game as a student than as an alumni.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pbo2274 said:
We have a small place in chesapeake that I like to go and we get plenty of trucks stuck out there... Just got a BRAND NEW 2004 H2 with 500 miles stuck last weekend.....

pbo2274, where at? My parents live down in Chesapeake and I'm always looking for places down their since there is nothing in Northern VA...

UPDATE: Sorry didn't see that someone already said.

Attachments

• at the game.jpg
    at the game.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 202

dmasini said:
pbo2274, where at? My parents live down in Chesapeake and I'm always looking for places down their since there is nothing in Northern VA...

UPDATE: Sorry didn't see that someone already said.

like to know where that is my self. haven't been offroading since the snow came last year

Thought I may put some input in here.
I would rethink heading to GW near Harrisonburg, seems Kephart trail is closed, or at least the last few hundred yards, and thats the only challenge on the trail. The closing of old Long run last year made Kephart one of two remaining trails, Reddish Knob is still around, but not that difficult. The Dry River trails are hardly worth the trouble, and they are getting more and more tornup(bypasses around mud holes, people heading into and out of the holes from various directions) making the closure likely by the city of Harrisonburg at some point. Hardly makes it worth the drive for me at least.

You can have some fun but if you are looking to be challenged most likely you wont.

Pay to play (Crozet,Paragon,RaushCreek)on private land here on the east coast is the only real alternative as more and more public trails are closed funneling more and more traffic on the ones left, giving the FS and other bodies good reasons to close them. Sucks. Seems like its hard to get this turned around. Idiots who dont stay on the trails, throw their beer cans around, and disregard and tear down the signs dont help out at all.

The private land out in Crozet may be a better choice, havent been, but the reports back sound good to great. It aslo may be closer for most of you.

SteveVB said:
Thought I may put some input in here.
I would rethink heading to GW near Harrisonburg, seems Kephart trail is closed, or at least the last few hundred yards, and thats the only challenge on the trail. The closing of old Long run last year made Kephart one of two remaining trails, Reddish Knob is still around, but not that difficult. The Dry River trails are hardly worth the trouble, and they are getting more and more tornup(bypasses around mud holes, people heading into and out of the holes from various directions) making the closure likely by the city of Harrisonburg at some point. Hardly makes it worth the drive for me at least.

Yeah, the dry run (or is it Kephardt?) trail is fun if you want to do some over night camping, but only challenging if you do the spur and try to run up the waterfalls off the trail, which I've never done. (illegal) I did come close to rolling my truck on the drop that leads into the spur

Hokie said:
Yeah, the dry run (or is it Kephardt?) trail is fun if you want to do some over night camping, but only challenging if you do the spur and try to run up the waterfalls off the trail, which I've never done. (illegal) I did come close to rolling my truck on the drop that leads into the spur

Well according to a report from someone on the GWNF board, the Forest Service has bermed and blocked the both the spur and a couple hundred yards before the waterfall at the end of Kephart. Pushed by the damage from the illegal hill climbs and the increased traffic on the trail I believe.

Steve,
What is the name of the place in Grozet? Do you know how to contact them? Paragon and Roush creek are so far away. I want to go some place that requires a little thought, not just mud boggin.

VT? Didn't they get whipped on the first game buy USC??

Sorry dude, had to say it!

Been going out to Tuskers Gap in the GWNF. It has a lot for more ATV's, but there is a OHV trail just for trucks. It has lots of rocky areas and tight squeezes. but it is a pretty fun trek, took the H2 there and if that beast can fit around in it then the explorers would even better since they are not that big. If any of y'all want to go out there, its a good time, no mud, but some pretty fierce hills.

let me know, i try and get out there at least once a month, theres lots of camping around the area too.

JoshC said:
VT? Didn't they get whipped on the first game buy USC??
Sorry dude, had to say it!

Yeah, holding the #1 team in the nation to a modest win (which was only decided in the last 5 min) after being up at half time (in a game NO ONE expected the young VT team to even show up to)... yeah, i guess you can call that a whipping. :rolleyes: Actually, if you want to talk ass whoopin's, lets see what happens when Morgantown tries to bring its **** to blacksburg this year. Man I can't wait to not have to play WV teams any more ;) Once again, the state of Virginia has seen the light and is pushing away our western neighbor, leaving them high and dry with no identity (or in this case, the Big Least) :p

unclemeat said:
So where is Tuskers gap?

Tuskers gap is over by Edenburg North of Staunton. I have rode my dirtbike up there a couple of times. I got a real bad case of monkey butt from all the rocks. Not a fun place on a dirtbike. They have a place there called the rock garden, but, I don't know if it is open to 4 wheel drives. I had to get off my bike and walk it over the rocks. It took me 5 hours pulling a trailer from VA Beach.

Looks about 40 miles North. Once you get to Edinburg you will head into the mountains from there, about another 30 minutes or so.

All I know is it is about 40 min from herndon, the way I drive i guess. But there trail open to 4wd trucks is pretty cool, lots of ruts, rocks and hills. you can hit tuskers gap on exit 279 on I-81. there is a place to park your trailers if you bring ATV's and such, and then you can just disconnect the trailer if you want to take the trucks on the trails, its fun, i have a hoot everytime i go.

Sweet I live in Herndon when I'm not at school. I might have to try that place.

funnyperson1 said:
Sweet I live in Herndon when I'm not at school. I might have to try that place.

Funny, next time your in the area we should meet up and do some wheeling dude. Brea, same with you! :exporange

I think its about time we have a meet & greet or atleast something.. There's a nice place called Buffalo Wing University in the Court Yard Plaza in Fairfax. On Tuesdays its .39 wings & $7 pitchers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blee1099 said:
I think its about time we have a meet & greet or atleast something.. There's a nice place called Buffalo Wing University in the Court Yard Plaza in Fairfax. On Tuesdays its .39 wings & $7 pitchers.

Sounds good to me! Hell, even the Hooters in Fairfax anytime. ;) Anyone else be interested??

Back