Firestone/Ford -Is the Explorer at fault? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Firestone/Ford -Is the Explorer at fault?

alex

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I just saw a news bit today regarding the Firestone tire problems. Apparently, the Venezuelan government is claiming that it's not just the fault of the tires, it's a problem with the Explorer itself. Ironically, I just replaced my Wilderness AT's (which were not made in the IL plant) with some 31" BFG AT Ko's, and was discussing the whole issue with my local tire dealer. He too was saying that part of the problem is the Explorer. I asked him how in the world it could be the vehicle's fault, and he said, "If it's the tire's fault, then how come the Ranger isn't having any problems?" What do you guys think? I really don't see how one could lay blame on the Explorer, but I suppose it's an interesting argument.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just dont see how they could blame the explorer. If it was an explorer thing then we would be having problems with our BFG's and were not.

Originally posted by alex
I...was discussing the whole issue with my local tire dealer...and he said, "If it's the tire's fault, then how come the Ranger isn't having any problems?"

That's a bogus argument, because the Ranger is the same thing as an Explorer! The reason we're seeing this on the Explorer is because it has been the best-selling SUV since it was introduced in late '90. Compared to the Explorer, the Ranger has very few units out there, and even fewer still that were equipped with the all-terrain tires in question.

There Are Deficiencies In The Explorer

Virtually every person on this Forum has immediately replaced their shocks and tires upon taking possession of their Explorer vehicle. The suspension is well-known to be too soft, the stock shocks and tires virtually worthless. I immediately put on KYB shocks and AirLift rear air bags on my Explorer. Ford has known all along that the vehicle needed a longer wheelbase and wider track width, and lo and behold...you will see these on the 2002 model Explorer! The inability to load the stock Explorer (notice that rear sagging?) and soft suspension (notice that poor cornering and pitching side-to-side when you go over a speed bump or uneven surface at 3 mph?) are well-known issues. They alone have caused many owners to immediately shell-out cash for simple effective replacement shock and tires when they should have been put on initially at the Ford factory.

That is just to funny. The only reason I could see that the tire guy could lay blame is all from stupidity. I aggree with RandyM on this one.

Somebody on this forum, I don't remeber who and in which thread, made the observation that the left rear tire is getting warmer than all other tires. Strange enough, this is true. I was always checking tire temperature on breaks on long drives, because it is a good indication for a tire going low. Depending on the car, it is normal to have a temperature difference between front and rear, but not between left and right. With my Explorer, still running on its original Good Year tires, left rear gets noticibly warmer than the others. (Yes, they are inflated the same :D ) As far as I know, it was most of the time the left rear tire blowing up.

I don't think Firestones are good tires, but there is also something strange about the weight distribution of the Explorer. I don't think it is the suspension or geometry of the suspension itself, even though I agree fully with Randy in all his points, because the tires wear even.

An indication, that weight could be part of the cause, could be the Rangers not having the same problems: They are a lot lighter in the back, except when carrying a load, which most of the time is not the case.

I would be interested in the answer of the following questions.
-Which is the weight distribution on each wheel of an Explorer?
-Are the Firestones used on heavier SUV's than the Explorer?
-How many times has it been the left rear tire, that blew?

Still, even though the Explorer might not be perfect, the main fault would be with Firestone again, because a tire needs to be able to handle the weight of the kind of cars it was designed for.

I have a 1997 XLT with Goodyears and while I don't like the tires I have heard of zero accidents like this with any other brand or size of tire.
P.s. I assume the 31 inch KO's fit well?

Originally posted by donkey boy
Somebody on this forum, I don't remeber who and in which thread, made the observation that the left rear tire is getting warmer than all other tires

That was me, I just don't remember which thread it was. I tow a heavy trailer(I know I always say that) and on my last trip I noticed the hot tire thing, it was the left rear that was the hottest, and smelled like burning rubber, while the right rear was quite a bit cooler. I think a lot has to do with the placement of the fuel tank, it is close to the rear and on the left side. I don't know if the Ranger has the same size tank or not, but since it is a pickup, there is a whole lot less weight back there altogether. I noticed from pictures of the crashes, that it is not always the left rear, but the right also goes out. BUT it is always a rear tire.

Left side heavy issue

I am sorry, right after this post I saw a similar post. on the Ranger and Explorer, the feul tank is in the back, and on the inside left frame rail. Now, take the 16 gallons of fuel (as are in my '98 ranger) and multiply that times the weight of fuel (someting like 6 pounds per gallon I think), and you do have some significant weight on the left side. This is a valid argument, however, doesn't anyone test this sort of thing before production? And if so, why is this problem just beginning to surface, many years after the vehicle is introduced? I feel that this could have been a problem discovered within 2 years of the introduction. Oh well, there are my thoughts, do what you want with them!

AH HA

The Explorer holds over 20 gallons of gas, 4 more than the ranger. That should account for something.

Personally I think the tires in question (235/75/15) are too small for a 4000 lb vehicle. I also believe the problem is compounded by using a piece of junk for a tire. That tire size is more appropriate for vehicle that weighs more like 3000 lb. If I'm not mistaken, the Ranger weighs considerably less than the Explorer. Perhaps that is why the problem has not been so rampant with the Ranger. One other thing I have noticed is that other vehicles similar to the Explorer in size, are fitted with larger and better tires.

I was looking at the label on the door and the GVWR is closer to 5500 pounds.

i'm a little late but...

If it is the Explorer's suspension at fault, why do both 91-94 Explorers have accidents, as well as the completely redesigned (essentially a different truck) 95-UP explorers?
It isn't the truck's fault. It's Firestone's ****ty tires.

I saw somewhere that Ford recommended a 4 ply tire and Firestone only gave them a 2 ply. Not sure if I'm 100% correct. But if it is, that with the fact the the design is poor to begin with would lead to blow outs. I also think that some of them are due to people that buy them, namely soccer moms and posuers. They never take care of their vehicles at all. I've seen some of the tires that have been blown out and they look almost bald. I think everybody is a little at fault, mostly Firestone for making junk tires, Ford for putting them on, and the some owners for not taking care of them. If companies wouldn't cut corners to save money, this thing would never happen. If I do buy my SportTrac soon, I'm making sure the dealer tosses in a pair of Coopers.

Just a pair? Wouldn't you want all 5 to be Coopers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back