Synthetic Oils? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Synthetic Oils?

Thanks. Are there any high quality filters good enough for long change times available at any retail stores, Walmart, auto parts stores ect.? Or do they have to be ordered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Amsoil filters would have to be ordered.

Mobile 1 filters are a step ahead of the ones commonly available, and are at auto parts stores everywhere. Wix can be had through various auto parts stores as well, and the NAPA Gold line is also a good filter.

briwayjones said:
Thanks. Are there any high quality filters good enough for long change times available at any retail stores, Walmart, auto parts stores ect.? Or do they have to be ordered.

Yes, K & N as well as Mobil 1 are among the best that one can get,

I have used both on extended change intervals with great results.

I currently use K & N for my oil and ATF.

now I ahve really seached for alot here but not had consistant results. I have about 90k on my truck and im pretty sure it has all original fluids (except motor) I have been running mobil 1 synthetic with a motorcraft filter using 5k oil change marks. I want to go synthetic EVERYWHERE. What weight of gear oil would I want for the Diffy's and what about the TC and Tranny? What are also some good brands beside amsoil that i can find on the shelfs of auto stores for the tranny, TC and Diffys?

You use the same viscosity oil that you normally do, just in synthetic instead of dino oils. I suggest that you find Redline or Royal Purple if you cannot find an Amsoil dealer. In tranny or gear oil, you can also sometimes find other manufacturers out there that are not as commonly known. Seems like I have used some by Farm Oyl and others in my diffs and it works out well. Really makes a difference in cold starts and overall protection.

Any of you other synthetic users have some suggestions?

I am a 100% Amsoil fan.

I use Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube in 75w90 in the rear and Amsoil ATF in the tranny.

If you have trouble finding an amsoil dealer PM me. I will give you some info, and also you can get a discount.

Considering I've seen Mobil 1 engine oil at up to $8/quart, I'd hope it's synthetic.

Ok good, I changed my oil today. I got Mobil 1 but walmart didn't have any decent filters. So I went nearby to an Advanced Auto and the only filter they had that seemed would be worthy was a K&N. Since it was $10 and K&N I hoped it would be worthy of an extended change interval and went ahead and got it. Looks like I lucked out this time.

On a seperate note did any of you notice your engine sounded different or making noises after switching to synthetic. As soon as I changed my oil and cranked it up there was a knocking noise that wasn't there before. It doesn't sound like normal engine knock and it sounds like it's coming from the bottom left of the engine compartment.

I've never noticed any change in engine sounds, except that perhaps they sometimes run more quietly after the switch.

Like my Ranger 2.9 - the lifters no longer clack as much and they stay pumped up after a freeway run...

Are you sure that you aren't trying to use synthetic oil to preserve an engine that you already believe is on its way out? Not accusing, just asking the question. I've seen lots of people that believe some canned product can actually repair a physical defect, and that isn't likely true.

I put in Mobil 1 0W-20 at 88K miles in the Taurus, and it immediately sounded much quieter. The gas mileage also increased. Unfortunately it started burning a bit of oil, so I am going up to 5W-30.

Note: Do not be afraid to run a light-weight synthetic, but don't do what I did and wait a long time before switching to synthetic. If you do, go with a slightly heavier synthetic. They really are superior oils though. Mobil 1 + Wix is a great combo. I have gotten 26 MPG in the CITY with the Taurus, and over 30 on the highway. The 30 was with 5 people and lots of luggage. Explorer is getting Mobil 1 tomorrow. This dino oil sucks.

I'm learning some new things about oil today, and the timing is good because I need a change, not to mention it'll be in the 30s this weekend, and it only gets colder from there.

Anyway, I've heard good things about Mobil 1 from reputable sources. I'm staying away from Amsoil based on the not-so-kind words from a mentor of mine. That was in regards to two-stroke applications, but the short story is that the company didn't deliver on it's word, and failed to accept responsibility. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

My question is...will synthetic oils reduce friction significantly over the conventional oils? I know what the bottles might say or what the ads might lead us to believe, but I want to know real world results. Standard temperature days, do you feel the difference in terms of acceleration, or just in engine vibrations etc?

Also, has anyone heard of, seen, used, and/or recommend the use of Lenkite or Marvel Mystery Oil in automotive applications?

tripleoption said:
Anyway, I've heard good things about Mobil 1 from reputable sources.

I'm staying away from Amsoil based on the not-so-kind words from a mentor of mine. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

My question is...will synthetic oils reduce friction significantly over the conventional oils?

Also, has anyone heard of, seen, used, and/or recommend the use of Lenkite or Marvel Mystery Oil in automotive applications?

Mobil 1 is definately excellent oil.

I am afrade you have been sold a line about Ansoil. Its a great product ( all of its line ). Uts all I use.

Reduce friction? Definately. You will see the diffenence in gas mileage.

Snake oil. There is simply no need for oil addatives when using quality oil.

Thanks Al,
That Amsoil incident took place a few years back, so I'm sure their products have changed for the better since then. Some people around here, and probably nationwide for that matter, tend to be very conservative and hard-nosed about their brand preferences based on experiences they had or heard. For example, I heard only bad things about synthetics until I got out of the house...now I'm considering the change, six years later, based on references from the anti-Amsoil guy himself. Go figure.
Don't tell anyone, but Tripleoption is becoming 'openminded', regarding oil anyway. :)

Back