• Register Today It's free!

Wow...i'm a moron

hit_that

Reaction score
City, State
Jamestown, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
OK, so i decided to add to the swiss cheese airbox mod and cut some holes in the panel that it sits on. Great idea right? WRONG There's a a nice load of wiring under there and so of course i drill right through em. :( S*it!!!! but I figure I can just solder em back, tape them and it's all good. So I did that and everything looks good but my check engine light is on now! GAAA! Should I be seriously worried? I'm a delivery driver and I cannot have my car outta comission. Any ideas? I'm gonna take the X somewhere and get the codes checked...Here's hoping I didn't screw myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

****, that sucks...why'd you solder them instead of just getting little connector things?...I would just check those again, one of them isn't making the contact it needs...but hey, if it runs then at least it's not totally f-ed

Did you try reseting the computer?

goto autozone and have them scan it - if it's nothing important then have them try to clear the code and see what happens.

You may want to replace the tape. It never lasts and starts getting goopey, and moving. Radio Shack has some shrinkable tubing that works great. All you need is a hair dryer to shrink it.

I'm gonna go recheck the connections right now. It's been running just fine so i'm not tooooo worried. How do I reset the computer? Thanks for the info guys.

Dis connect the neg lead to the batt for a few minutes

either disconnect the battery for 20min or goto to autozone and they'll clear it for free

Don't feel bad, we all do stupied things, I was drilling a hole in my wife's "NEW" Jeep's firewall to run some wires and drilled into a cable under the hood. Fortunatly I just hit a power wire and blew a fuse, all I had to do was change the fuse and my underware. :(

I definatly would solder the wires, as long as there is not much oxidation on the copper as that would make soldering more difficult and less effective.
Go with heat shrink also, that will make the job neat.

The lesson here kids.
Work slowly, and look around.

Check your horn and your headlights, turn singnals and stuff like that.
There is not a lot of crutial wires that far forward.

You also likely have poped more than a few fuses.

You will not need to get any codes checked if you do not have a Check Engine Light.

Back