• Register Today It's free!

Starting problems for my 99 sport

Red99Sport

Reaction score
City, State
West surburbs of IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4X4
I'm having trouble starting my truck lately. I have a 99 4.0L (SOHC) with 47,500 miles. Actually, it's really only after work it has the problem. I go out to my car, turn the key, she cranks, she turns over and she dies. Then I have to repear the whole thing all over until she starts. Normally it's just 1 more try and it's started until yesterday it must've done it almost 6 times before it would stay running, and that was with the help of my foot on the gas keeping the idle up. So, I go and buy a fuel filter after work yesterday, and after fighting to get the filter off, I replaced it. This morning, I'm going to work, starts right up. After work, same old problem. My fuel pump kicks on every time because I make sure to listen for it so I'm hoping to rule that out, especially because I can't afford to replace that. I thought battery since it's the original one, but when hooked up to a tester, it shows 12 when the truck is off and 14 while running. So it's a tad low running, but not enough to be the problem don't ya thing? Anyone else expierence this problem, or have any idea what it could be? I'd appreciate the help or info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try cleaning the IAC.

What is the IAC exactly?

Red99Sport said:
What is the IAC exactly?

idle air control, it's a small cylender on the side of the intake, with a small solenoid connected to it, it sometimes gets crudded up and jams in position, and as it's the only way for air to get in on idle, it won't let the car stay running after startup, generally troubleshooting it is easy, lightly depress the throttle when starting, if it stays running, that's normally the trouble.

to clean it, remove it (two bolts) spray it down with carb cleaner or wd40, check operation, (turn key on, it will(should) move one way or the other) I normally clean out the passages in the manifold just because I have it open, it's a small passage that travels from in front of the throttle body, over the butterfly and through the IAC, and back into the manifold

if that's the problem, it should run good after all that.

if cleaning it doesn't work, check solenoid for continuity, and check it's wiring, a trick to save a couple of bucks is to always check the wiring before buying a part.

hope it helps.
merc

Same Troubles

My 99 Explorer Sport does the same thing. Except mine only does it when it sits in the cold for a long period of time. It will turn over but not start and sometimes it will start and shake real bad then die. I have had my altenator checked and battery several times. I am still trying to find out what is wrong with mine.

Thanks Merc, I'll definately try that.

blackexplurr said:
My 99 Explorer Sport does the same thing. Except mine only does it when it sits in the cold for a long period of time. It will turn over but not start and sometimes it will start and shake real bad then die. I have had my altenator checked and battery several times. I am still trying to find out what is wrong with mine.

Do you have the SOHC or the OHV engine? If SOHC, problem could be the intake manifold O-rings if cleaning the IAC doesn't help.

Can anyone help me identify the IAC on a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac?

I'm having the same symptoms as described here, my Trac stalls at idle when the truck is cold, etc. I've changed the oil, filters, etc. in the past, but haven't done a lot more than that. I'd like to try and clean the IAC, but I'm not sure where to look. I found another post on the site detailing how to remove/clean the IAC, but I looked under my hood and couldn't find anything that looked like the images posted. I'm probably just looking in the wrong place, but I'm not sure.

Any help/pics etc would be Greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Oh, I have the 4.0 v6 sohc engine in my 2001 Explorer Sport Trac, if that helps. :)

Tele Trac - Your IAC is under the black plastic SOHC shroud on top of your engine. Remove that and you will see the IAC.

Now go figure, the last 2 days it has been warm and the truck has started perfectly. It has got to be the cold affecting it. Is that still the IAC, cuz I haven't cleaned it yet cuz I never knew where it was until now.

IAC cleaned and re-installed...

TPLYNCH said:
Tele Trac - Your IAC is under the black plastic SOHC shroud on top of your engine. Remove that and you will see the IAC.

Well, thanks to TPLYNCH, I found and cleaned the IAC tonight after work. Piece of cake! The truck started fine tonight, but it was still warm. Hopefully I'll notice a difference again tomorrow morning when I start 'er up. (As in, it will actually start and stay running! :) )

If not, I'll have to put some more thought into that ebay posting!

Thanks again!

Rough idle when it is cold is also an indication of an intake manifold leak. The SOHC engines were notorious for the O-Rings going bad. Ford extended the warranty. Search for 00M12 for more info. Also gets lumped along with the bad cam tensioners too - 01M01.

How often do these intake o-rings need to be replaced?

Once, hopefully....

I i´m from Guadalajara, Mexico and y have a cuestion, how i´can change the transfer case ratio to have 4:1 or another relation
sorry for my english

92 explorer, starting problem

My 92 explorer will start up of the morning, but after it warms up and I shut off the engine, it has to completey cool down before it will start again. It will just crank and crank but will not start. Any Ideas?? :confused:

"Rough idle when it is cold is also an indication of an intake manifold leak. The SOHC engines were notorious for the O-Rings going bad. Ford extended the warranty. Search for 00M12 for more info. Also gets lumped along with the bad cam tensioners too - 01M01."

I agree--it's the lower manifold intake gaskets.

snikwah32153 said:
My 92 explorer will start up of the morning, but after it warms up and I shut off the engine, it has to completey cool down before it will start again. It will just crank and crank but will not start. Any Ideas?? :confused:

Bad CPS (crankshaft position sensor) ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Red99Sport said:
Now go figure, the last 2 days it has been warm and the truck has started perfectly. It has got to be the cold affecting it. Is that still the IAC, cuz I haven't cleaned it yet cuz I never knew where it was until now.

Yep sounds like the 00M12 lower intake manifold gaskets. They are a pain to change but the parts are only about $50. I did this job on my truck and it was a miracle cure. I posted about it on this site. Do a search for 00M12.

mikeh

Back