soccerplayer3

Reaction score
City, State
san jose ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer
what type of spark plugs are u guys using
i am changin mine and wanted to see what people were using :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

soccerplayer3 said:
what type of spark plugs are u guys using
i am changin mine and wanted to see what people were using :usa:

I only use OEM plugs.

BTW, your manual tells you the only plug you should use.

I believe there are lots of threads on this. Use the OEM ones. There is little to no power gains between a good clean OEM on and a performance one. Good Luck.

I put in Autolite double platinums. I think these are equivalent in quality, performance, and price to the OEM Motorcraft plugs. Most people seem to be superstitious about installing anything but Motorcraft in their Ford. I'm not sure why.

jjm0001 said:
I put in Autolite double platinums. I think these are equivalent in quality, performance, and price to the OEM Motorcraft plugs. Most people seem to be superstitious about installing anything but Motorcraft in their Ford. I'm not sure why.

Because no matter how many points there are on a plug, it will only spark to one of them at a time. So whether you have 4 points or 1 point, the amount of spark each fire is 1, not 2,4 etc...

Also, OEM plugs operate at the correct heat range required.

I scored a set of Iridium NHK's on eBay for real cheap. Had them put in a month or so ago and so far, so good.

I'm running NGK iridiums to prevent detonation. If I was N/A, I'd be running stock motorcrafts :thumbsup:

I believe autolites are motorcrafts plugs anyways. What 2001exsport is right.

Well, Autolite used to be a Ford subsidiary but was spun off. I believe Allied Signal owns them now. Motorcraft took Autolite's place. I don't think the plugs are the same.

I use OE plugs, btw.

Bosch platinums, one electrode, runs great

plrs x45 said:
I believe autolites are motorcrafts plugs anyways. What 2001exsport is right.

Autolite plugs are not the same as Motorcraft plugs. I did a comparison of the two here once; they have a different heat range and also they don't even look the same side-by-side.

The Autolite double platinums don't have multiple electrodes. These Autolite double platinums have a single center electrode and a single side wire. But both the center tip and side wire are made of platinum for longer life. Not like a splitfire configuration with a split side wire. If you compare the Autolite with the OEM Motorcraft side by side, which I did when I pulled them, they appear to be the same design and size. The original OEM Motorcrafts out of my 2000 sport were also double platinums, however, the drivers side were a different model number than the passenger side. Very strange. What's up with that?

jjm0001 said:
If you compare the Autolite with the OEM Motorcraft side by side, which I did when I pulled them, they appear to be the same design and size.

When I sat Autolites single plats next to Motorcrafts single plats, they did not appear to be the same design and size. They also do not run the same in the truck.

jjm0001 said:
The original OEM Motorcrafts out of my 2000 sport were also double platinums, however, the drivers side were a different model number than the passenger side. Very strange. What's up with that?

Ford designed it that way. There is an explanation of that in a thread here somewhere. If I recall correctly, it has something to do with the firing/PCM relationship...

Rhett, can you please post the critical dimension differences you are talking about between the Motorcraft and Autolite spark plugs. Also, if you could provide some facts regarding the incorrect heat range and/or PCM firing requirements that only Motorcraft spark plugs can provide. I am considering a class action lawsuit against Autolite, Pep Boys and Ford regarding this matter. Now if only I can get my Explorer to run badly on the Autolites, I might have a case.

jjm0001 said:
Rhett, can you please post the critical dimension differences you are talking about between the Motorcraft and Autolite spark plugs. Also, if you could provide some facts regarding the incorrect heat range and/or PCM firing requirements that only Motorcraft spark plugs can provide. I am considering a class action lawsuit against Autolite, Pep Boys and Ford regarding this matter. Now if only I can get my Explorer to run badly on the Autolites, I might have a case.

Are you f**king serious?

A class action lawsuit because they sold you plugs? My pep boys knew that the only plugs to put in my truck were Motorcraft. Did you plan to sue the guy/girl that sold them to you too?

Ford recommends 89 octane fuel only for the Explorer. Did you plan to sue all the gas companies because the clerk didn't run out and tell you not to buy 93 octane?

I read your post again....I think you're just joking.....right?

I just know to stay away from BOSCH plats.... some say they're good, but my X has been running like shat and I've lost about 30 to 40 miles to a tank of gas, had a mechanic from the Firestone place tell me that bosch is not good for explorers and he said the symptoms that i'm having without me even telling him... so apparently it is the plugs... If I could find a motorcraft double plats around here i'm getting them back... but autozone is the only place in town that sells em and they're completely outta stock, so gotta suffer with a mislead mistake on my own part for the time being..

Personally I use Autolites in all my Fords. They run tip top shape and I have never had a problem with the plugs. Even my wifes 97 I put Autolites double plat and it runs like a dream. I would stay away from Bosch and run either Motorcrafts or Autolites.

Do you guys feel the same way about plug wires just get the ones from ford?

Kona

i had autolites....ran them in a few vehicles...but after this last Plug change i don't think i'll use them anymore, they didn't seem to last very long so i switched to NGK V-power's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After the Firestone/Ford tire debacle, I think Firestone is the LAST place I'd go looking for advice ....

What does you Michelon dealer say?

Back