• Register Today It's free!

How Does Your Explorer Handle?

XLimited

Reaction score
City, State
Mohawk, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Limited 4x4
I'm just getting trying to get opinion on this things, How does your Explorer Drive thru the different types of weather, When its snowing, Icey outside or its just raining, and so on. Like when its raining out do this things hug the ground nice or do they like to hydro. When you post how your Ex handles give the information, What kind of tires do you have and what size are they and how does it handle compared to your old ride's and stuff like that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only car I ever had a hydroplane problem with was a saturn SC2 and that was because it was super light... my ex seems to take on the elements with extreme prejudice... it runs throught snow and ice coverd roads like they weren,'t there (but they are there so I keep it under 70)

I'm running a '96 V8 AWD with michelin LTX tires probably stock size... they all leak like a sieve though..

I've taken my Explorer off the beaten path quite a few times in the snow and she seems love playing in the snow! On wet pavement like ice, snow, rain, I haven't hydroplaned hardly at all(not that I can remember). Just read my signature at the bottom here to see what tires I have. Bought them 2 years ago and absolutely love em!

No snow or ice in Fl so no comment. Never been off road. Rain we get alot of. My x doesn't have any problems in it. Not that any car I have had did. I do drive slower in the rain. I have some no name tires that came with the X. Don't remember what they are.
94 XLT 4X4
235-75-15
stock suspension.

For better handling in both wet and dry conditions, add the EE sway-bar kit. It will make a world of difference in the handling. I also have a set of poly bushings for the front bar, but haven't installed them yet.....

Anything you do to improve dry pavement handling will also give a more secure feeling in the rain and snow. Along with a good set of tires, of course.

I love the snow, especially when you find a big empty parking lot toi do donuts in. :D In the rain it handles almost as well as in dry. One thing I noticed is the control trac kicks in and out in the rain (high speed + twisty back roads).

No complaints other than I need a locker in my rear end. Tried going thru some pretty deep snow last year and it took some 4lo, something I don't like to use much, and a lil rocking to get her free but the control trac is def a peace of mind.

dman726749 said:
like a porsche :D

Oh you musta got the crap edition, mine handles like a ferrari :D

Handles well for a truck. Rancho RSX's and Moog parts up front help.

Only time I've come near to hydroplaning was when my tires were bald. Only problem I have in the rain is if I have to turn right onto a street and have to get on it to avoid traffic. Inside tire will just spin. Shifting to second or turning on 4 Auto beforehand solves that though.

My '93 EB handled sweet in any weather in 4x4. In 2wd with wet roads I was able to spin my tires super easily if I wanted. 4x4 in first gens are solid. The steering wheel seemed sloppy normally, but it stiffened up 10 fold with 4x4. My '98 Sport kicked some serious ass this winter. Some jerk was tailgating me down country roads in questionable weather, and then we came around a corner (90 degrees and icy and a huge hill) and a bunch of cars were backed up, so I decided to make a bold move and smoked all their *****. Ice is tricky in any weather, but I knew the hill, was pretty certain about the conditions and felt safer passing them than stopping dead and risking them sliding into me. Have always had confidence in all my X's. Even make a point to go out driving in the worst of weather late at night for "practice" And had the best times of my life!

We got a 1/4 inch of snow last year in my town, it was very spooky as I had no tire chains, thank gawd for my powertrax, slowly backed out of the driveway, two minutes later it started to rain and all the heavy snow was gone.
I hate Snow

spindlecone said:
We got a 1/4 inch of snow last year in my town, it was very spooky as I had no tire chains, thank gawd for my powertrax, slowly backed out of the driveway, two minutes later it started to rain and all the heavy snow was gone.
I hate Snow
OH NO!!! :p

WOW! A whole quarter inch of snow!! We have more frost thicker than that.
a quarter yard of snow is what we call snow.... :) Happy Halloween .

Like a race car.

It does flop in transitions, tends to push in decreasing radius turns over 80 mph, doesn't trail-brake well, won't rotate in the double-apex turn 7, and the steering is vague over 110mph.

What? You've never taken your X on a closed FIA-approved track?

-B

My truck is great on Dry ground can and have taken turns at 25-30mph (felt a little scary).Turns are lose but can be maid sharp very easily with minimal effort, Braking is scary at higher speeds the truck sways side to side like its about to spin/roll(65+ mph)
Rain it can slide if Im not to careful(willing to be it's the tires). In snow It is a Great truck best truck I have ever driven for snow, Last year we got 2 ft of snow over night and my 94 x took it like a champ till my auto hubs went in the next storm(then changed to manual hubs) and has been perfect ever since (far as bad weather is concerned anyway)

handles quite nice
in oregon where it rains a lot. i have had no problems

and if you can drive good..you can kick the back end out while taking a corner for some fun...but i dont reccomend it unless you know what you are doing

Originally Posted by spindlecone
I hate Snow

I hate that you don't get snow (that often). Just for kicks though, when it snows, it is time to put a little gas into it and drive like you stole it (in a very safe way).

I like to spin it around the cul-de-sac for kicks in the winter, I back out and spin it around. One great time I had was when I was powering around obstacles in a parking lot that hadn't been plowed all winter, a good solid base with at least a foot of good powder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back