Engine will fire, wont stay running - Nov 5, 2004 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine will fire, wont stay running - Nov 5, 2004

Soundguy01tx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Hey guys,
Its been a while since Ive been on the board... and that usually means things are runnin ok with my Ex... but Im back. :(

I went out this morning to fire up my Ex. I can turn the key, get it to fire up, but the minute I let the key out of "start", and let it back into "on", the engine dies. Ive tried revving the engine, thinking it needs gas, but it has plenty, and this doesnt help keep it running. Its not an electrical problem, as I have power and all lights up fine. Fuel Pump? Relay? If I keep it "cranked" on start up it will run until I let the key back... Im lost guys, help me... haha.
--Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You said it wasn't an electrical fault, but it sure sounds to me like an electrical fault. If the engine starts and runs fine with the key at the start position, then stalls when in the run position, then I wonder if there's something wrong with the switch, or some component (like the EEC relay) that is on when the key is in the run position.
When you let the switch fall back to run, how does the engine stall? Does it cut off like someone turned it off, or does it stumble and stutter like it wants to run, but something is missing?
A lot of times, I like to just pull codes to see if the computer can see and obvious fault or recorded something that would explain why it stalled.

Well lets see if I can recap all from today... I spoke with a man about "the problem". He said it sounds like the IAC. He is going to meet me in the morning to look over it. He suggested I try to give it lots of gas upon start up and see if i can get it to stay on... I did as he instructed (flooring it while cranking the engine) and it worked... the car started. And now it has started each time since that time. Any thoughts? He is still going to look at it with me in the morning.
--Bryan

check your air filter otherwise possible iac

If not the IAC, need to check a fuel pressure reading.

I've had ignition switches go bad (though not on my Ex) and behave like this. I think that's your problem.

The IAC would be ruled out if you get a short RPM surge when the engine first fires, foot off the gas. Or, if the engine continues to run without giving it gas while in start.

IAC might be bad if it won't idle without giving it gas, or idles fast. Doesn't sound like your problem, to me.

ok so... i thought it was workin fine again... we replaced the IAC, I made several runs around town starting and stopping my engine... and now, ive come home, let it sit a few hours, and it has decided to stop working again. Ideas? Are there any things I can do to check the fuel pump? or any of the other parts youve mentioned?
--Bryan

I would replace the fuel pump relay first. Inexpensive item; use your owners manual to determine location. 8 or 9 dollars at autozone for the aftermarket relay.

I'm sticking to the ignition switch theory. You could test for this with a voltmeter at the fuel pump relay coil, or anywhere else there should be ignition-on voltage. If this is dropping to zilch when you release the key, the switch is the likely culprit.

Bryan, there's just one word of caution -- the airbag. I hate that they put these bombs in our cars, and they can kill you. I haven't been in the Ex steering column, so I don't know if you're in a danger zone there. Anyone out there know how to safely disable the airbag? Disconnecting the battery ain't necessarily good enough.

captTelescope said:
Bryan, there's just one word of caution -- the airbag. I hate that they put these bombs in our cars, and they can kill you. I haven't been in the Ex steering column, so I don't know if you're in a danger zone there. Anyone out there know how to safely disable the airbag? Disconnecting the battery ain't necessarily good enough.

Unfortunately, this is a demonstration that you have to sort out the advice that is received on these types of forums. Sometimes well meaning folks provide you with some lousy information and send you on an expensive goose chase. So carefully consider what you get, don't go out and buy new parts that may likely do no good. See, you get what you pay for with free advice. The best of luck to you in your repair efforts.

Haha, dont worry, Ive been here long enough to take this advice with a grain of salt... There have been many times when I "thought" I knew what it might be... and then got to the shop and it was something different. Something like an ignition switch (autozone :: $8) I think I can chance the cost... Now if I was told it was a 100 part... different story.

One reason the IAC got done was because multiple people thought that was the culprit. I actually was able to head to our church parking lot for "car repair day". Some of the men do repairs a couple times a year for folks like me who either dont a)know how to do it myself or b)cant afford a shop. Its a real blessing. They did simple stuff (replacing a battery and cleaning terminal connections) to the biggest job, replacing a master cylinder on a Acura. I stayed up with them after we worked on my car... it was a lot of fun, and i was able to help with the no-brainer stuff. But by no means do I want to be a mechanic haha. Ill leave that to someone with a grease thumb (haha, get it?? green thumb... grease thumb haha - sorry its early). Anyways, Ill let ya know...
--Bryan

performancenut said:
Unfortunately, this is a demonstration that you have to sort out the advice that is received on these types of forums. Sometimes well meaning folks provide you with some lousy information and send you on an expensive goose chase. So carefully consider what you get, don't go out and buy new parts that may likely do no good. See, you get what you pay for with free advice. The best of luck to you in your repair efforts.

Amen. Free advice can be worth every penny. ;)

so here i sit, tryin to figure out where exactly the switch is... i have my replacemnt part, and it looks like what the picture in the Chiltons/Haynes manual shows... but... I dont see this part anywhere in my car! haha. I removed the lower instrument panel cover, the bottom of the steerin column cover, and yet to see it... or where it may be... anyone ever actually gotten to it? advice welcome - even if it is the free kind haha.
--Bryan

Bryan, have you checked your vacuum lines? Make sure none of the little caps or lines popped of the Octopus, and that the lines themselves aren't cracked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking vaccum lines also....Might even be a cap on the octopus...

Back