91 explorer hard starting, battery new | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 explorer hard starting, battery new

falcon241

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
I wanted to get some opinions. My symptoms started just recently with a sluggish starting as if the battery was weak, sorts of crank then hangs,crank and hangs then it acts like the battery went dead. If I turn off the ignition and try again it would do the same then finally start. I changed the battery and it seemed OK. This morning I went to start the car and the engine cranked but like before where it would crank then hang as if something was holding the engine back and the starter did not seem to be able to overcome the engine. It did cough once through the TB. Which indicated to me as the engine was getting too much timing. The vehicle did finally start on the third try but it was like the engine barely cranking. Engine runs fine after starting. Could the crank sensor be bad? If not what else can i look for. Battery cables were changed when I installed the new battery. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How old is the battery? Maybe it's not getting fully charged because your alternator is faulty?

Welcome to the site...

If the battery is good then it may be the wires going to the starter solenoid and starter. If the contacts have oxidized or the wires are corroded then an efficient transmission of power will not be possible. I would clean the battery terminals and the contacts and examine the wire for any signs of corrosion.
The 1st gen starter wire has been known to corrode (several inches before the starter) internally due to exposure to the elements and its low location on the engine.

Thanks for the reply, I got stuck today while out to lunch had to have the car towed home, thank god for AAA. Before calling AAA I called my buddy to come and give me a jump start my car because it acted like a dead battery with no starter turning.... jumping did not help, still no starter. Long story short while I was underneath the car and with him turning the ignition I can hear rhe ehgagement gear pop out to engage but no turning, detirmine that the starter was bad. Must have a dead spot on commutator. Got a new starter from NAPA and install, everything is good now.

I'd clean battery terminals, wires to battery, and hope it ain't the starter. Could also be the contactor in the starter solenoid. I have opened them up to find the big copper bar pitted, take it out, turn it around, and life got better.

You might want to also replace those factory cables. They do have a tendency to go bad. Especially when the truck is 13 years old.

Back