33x12.5 on 15x7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33x12.5 on 15x7

Has anyone tried this? Mounting 33x12.5 on stock 15x7 rims? I currently have 33x9.5 on 15x7's Handle's not so good on the road. I want a bit more stability on the road and highway. :roll: May be 33x10.5 would work but 33x12.5 would be better. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had 33x12.50's on a 15x8 and some people run 35x12.50's on an 8" rim... so it can probably be done.

But if you're thinking about handling.. i would go with 15x8's with a smaller backspacing. Thing is you lifted your truck to fit the tires- and the tires lift your CG that much more, but you havent compensated at all by widening the stance......

Im planning on mounting a 35x12.50x15 on a 15x7 rim as a spare- lol i wanna know if anyones done that..

you can run a 12.5" wide tire on a 15x7 but an 8" wide rim is preferred/recommended.

yea i just read your sig too...

you're running that lift, with 33's, on stock rims, with the added weight of a tire on the roof? :eek:

ive spaced my tires out about 4" each side, only done a 2" BL and 2" suspension and am hesitant about the handling with a spare up there...

sk1er17 said:
Im planning on mounting a 35x12.50x15 on a 15x7 rim as a spare- lol i wanna know if anyones done that..
Actually, a 35x12.50 will work better on a 7" wheel than a 33x12.50. Less angle on the bead with the 35.

Oh, and yes you can run a 33x12.50 on the stock 15x7's. Its not ideal, but it will work.

I told my brother that some 31x10.50x15s would work on his 15x7 wheels, but he went to a local tire chain (merchants tire/auto), and they said that it was very unsafe. I didn't think it was, but now 12.50s on a 7 inch wide wheel....I don't know. You might be pushing it. Just my thoughts. If you do do it, be careful on turns and watch your air pressure.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB00 said:
I told my brother that some 31x10.50x15s would work on his 15x7 wheels, but he went to a local tire chain (merchants tire/auto), and they said that it was very unsafe. I didn't think it was, but now 12.50s on a 7 inch wide wheel....I don't know. You might be pushing it. Just my thoughts. If you do do it, be careful on turns and watch your air pressure.
The tire shop told your brother that because most tire shops wont mount anything other than a stock sized tire on an Explorer due to the Firestone fiasco. Its store policy at many places across the US and has nothing to do with wheel size.

james t said:
The tire shop told your brother that because most tire shops wont mount anything other than a stock sized tire on an Explorer due to the Firestone fiasco. Its store policy at many places across the US and has nothing to do with wheel size.

Haha, I love living in the south. They don't give a flyin crap about any of that. I've gotten 31's put on at Wal-Mart, and 33's put on at Sam's, no questions asked.

Sams gave me trouble, here in Alabama, about mounting my 32x11.50s on stock rims, and they still didn't really want to mount them when I got some 15x8 wheels. They made me sign a waiver. So I guess it just depends on the place.

Really? Guess it's just where I live then. Actually, some tire store gave my buddy trouble about putting a 30" tire on his Rodeo.

Just run about 23-26 lbs in them so they wear evenly.

What you should do is take your rims off at home and have somebody or in another ride go get the tires mounted and never mention the explorer. If they need or want to know say you gotta jeep. Same bolt pattern you know.

So if you don't go offroad will a 33x12.50 still be dangerous for a 15x7 rim?

No. Its not dangerous in any way, offroad or on. It just wears the center of the tread more over time.

james t said:
No. Its not dangerous in any way, offroad or on. It just wears the center of the tread more over time.
Hmmm, excellent for burn-outs huh?

Makahveli said:
Hmmm, excellent for burn-outs huh?

:D If you got 2 grand for a tranny. :eek:

I was reading on another board of a guy running some 11 in. wide tires on 5.5" rims. He described them as a poor man's beadlocks

BFG All Terrains on stock rims

Will 33x12.5xR15 fit well on stock rims with very minor trimming, considering the backspacing and steering and all??... :rolleyes: I know there is a little chunk of plastic thats going to come off on the backside of the front wheel well (the rocker). But will there be anything else?

hmm, another solution to the tire fitting. Amazing imformation all around from this forum. Well time to be pretty and put shiny chrome on some 33's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SO a 33x12.50 on a 15x7 rim would squeeze and convert as a 32x11.50 would on a 15x8 rim?

Back