Turn signals cause radio static & not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turn signals cause radio static & not working

RGK

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Have a 1997 XLT, when using the turn signals, either right or left, loud static comes from the radio whether it is on or off. The turn signals do not work when this happens. Intermittent problem. Any ideas? I don't see where the signal switch is connected in any way to the speakers. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the 1997 have radio controls on the steering wheel somewhere? If it does, then it may be that your multi-thingamu-whatzit (the control thing that does wipers, signals, brights, etc) is starting to go bad. That's my first completely out there guess anyway. Another guess might be a grounding issue somewhere, or possibly a dirty/noisy turn signal relay?

I have no idea really. Just thinking out loud.

savant said:
Does the 1997 have radio controls on the steering wheel somewhere? If it does, then it may be that your multi-thingamu-whatzit (the control thing that does wipers, signals, brights, etc) is starting to go bad. That's my first completely out there guess anyway. Another guess might be a grounding issue somewhere, or possibly a dirty/noisy turn signal relay?

I have no idea really. Just thinking out loud.
I was going to say try adding a direct ground from the ground wire from the stereo to the body. Or from the wiper motor to the body. Or there could be a bad ground somewhere else. Some ford vehicles have a rheostat (sp?) that controls the static. Basically just a condensor from your old points style ignition that when bad can cause static. Not needed, just ground to the body or frame. HTH

Dan

No radio controls on the steering wheel. As a first try, am going to replace the flasher relay under the dash, since the only problem is with the turn signals. After that the multi-function switch in the column. Thanks for the ideas.

Iwould say replace the turn signal blinker relay. They use a bi-metallic strip that heats up with the current passing through it. The heat causes the armature to bend and open the circuit. It cools, warps back into shape, closes the circuit to the turn signal lamps and the cycle repeats. The unit may be failing and the internal contacts sparking which will cause a lot of radio noise, especially on AM. The signal unit is a little silver can plugged into the fuse panel. On older Explorers it is under the dashboard to the left of the steering column. On newer models it is behind a door on the left side of the dash. You open the driver's side door to reach it. The part should be only a few dollars at any parts store.

Bob

Bob

DId it work?? I have the exact same problem and it is driving me nuts!! I noticed that it happens only under certain conditions which would make sense with what Bwana Bob is saying.

Never mind, I had a bad multifunction stalk.
Thanks!

Back