• Register Today It's free!

Whats that horrible noise ?

N2MUDN91

Reaction score
City, State
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ranger
This morning I go to leave and have to go in the grass around my brothers truck that was in front of me (I was backed in away from the street)..... Its been raining and snowing so much lately, my yard has just turned into a massive swamp and needless to say when I got about half way around his truck I get stuck (in 2wd). I didnt want to tear up the yard worse than I already had, so I clicked on the 4wd, it engaged.. I didnt budge at all, turned on low range, and finally rocked myself out of the mud. Got to the road, turned off both 4x4 and LR and went on my way. I had the windows up on my way to school, so Im not positive if it was making the noise but its possible.
After school, Im driving and start hearing this noise from underneath. I listened for awhile, driving next to curbs to see if I could distinguish what it might have been.
I already cant stand the noise, so I head home to investigate the under side. I check out the brakes, nothing looks to be different/bent/rubbing. I take it for another test drive and have come to this conclusion.

The noise comes inbetween 1300 and 17-1800 rpm.. only. The lower the rpm in that range, its more of a tap, tap, tap. Getting over 1500 the sound becomes steady.
In Park and Nuetral it does NOT make this noise. Reasoning in why I think it might be my Transfer case. I marked the driveshaft and backed up the Explorer a couple feet, and the mark didnt move. Showing that the t-case is disengaged. I have not used my 4wd much lately because my drivers hub is completely shattered, I have some MM hubs to swap in but havnt found time to do so. The t-case might need some attention but as far as I can tell, it engaged and disengaged just fine. The same with low range(had a minor clunk)

If any of you have any ideas what the tap could be let me know. This noise has got to stop.
Its a factory BW1356.

Thanks,
Shane

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all the help guys!

um... do you have a rock in the tire? it can be slightly annoying and would only tap when your rolling

the rock would'nt change at different rpm's i dont think. o_O

well at different RPM's when it is in gear it will change frequency of taps... normallyt accelerating when RPMs are changing.

could also be a stick or twig whapping the driveshaft.

Back