• Register Today It's free!

Rotor replacement-- how much $$?

headrush

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
Hi there, haven't posted in a while. The explorer has been running quite well (knock on wood), my '97's up to 131k as of right now. However, I recently had to get my brakes replaced and rotors machined, and my mechanic (who I know and trust very well) noted on my bill that my rotors had wear. He informed me that if I had any bad vibration whenever I apply the brakes that it's a good indication I ought to get them replaced. My question is this: how much would something like that run me money wise? I don't really want to go back to my local mechanic, who charged me an arm and a leg for the replacement of the brake pads. I've already tried asking some of the guys that work there, but they can't really give me any estimates. So should I go to someplace like Brake Xperts or something? Thanks for all your help in advance.

-Cliff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Murry's in Chicago area for 38 bucks. Good luck

Front rotors should cost you around $40-45 for lifetime warranty Wagner or another premium brand rotor. Before you buy new ones, have your old ones measured by the guy at the parts store to make sure they're actually out of spec. It doesn't sound like you should take this guy's word.

aldive said:
You might consider upgraing the brakes with Power Slot Rotors; one of the best investments that I made.

http://www.powerslot.com/

I've been looking to upgrade mine to stop some bigger tires. Everyone I talk to says to steer clear of through-drilled and go with partly-drilled and slotted like these. What'd these run you?

I've found some for about $100 each. Can I get these any cheaper?

Thanks guys, I'll ask around and look into it some more and let you know what I come up with!

rotors actually arent that bad to replace yourself.. all ya need is a 4 pegged axle nut socket that you can get at advance auto with the new rotors, which if you want good rotors get the Bendix, although steer clear of the bendix pads, they have shim issues.. my dad and i got a set of rotors off a bronco II with a big hammer and even bigger screwdriver, the only tools a man needs, at least my dad says.

2nd gen Explorers only need a 15mm socket/ratchet, and the wheel removed, to get the front rotor off. Someone on Ebay is selling the front rotors for about $100 total form the pair, drilled and slotted.
I bought a pair from someone else because they had a better looking pattern. I chose Sport Trac rotors because they are an inch larger in diameter. They holes on these are chamfered, and will be going on the absolute hardest brake application, a mail vehicle. They will go on the 2nd gen. with the 2001 Sport or Sport Trac spindle. Our pads are bigger than there's, and are interchangeable.
Good luck,
DonW

Back