Need Help: Circuit City - Polk Audio DB 570 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help: Circuit City - Polk Audio DB 570

Rydogg

Reaction score
City, State
Rockville, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer
Circuit City has a buy one get the 2nd 1/2 off of these Polk speakers. I have read in the forum that people have had success with these speakers. I really am not looking for a component system and/or the pros and cons...

My question is that when I called crutchfield they said that only a 5 1/4 fit in the front, not the 5x7/6x8.

I have read many pages on here, and I was under the impression that 6x8's would work perfectly in any model pre-2001. I have a 1995 Ford Explorer, so these Polk's will fit, right? Is crutchfield wrong or will I have to modify the opening?

Lastly, would you all recommend purchasing the warranty on these speakers for 2 years and should I buy Bass blockers for both the front and back??

Thanks, any advice is awesome...

RYAN

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 98 and i have a set of Pioneer 5x7's in the front with no modification at all. Circuit City will try their hardest to get you to buy the warrany, i used to work there, but i think if you get the right bass blockers then you should have no problem.

My98xplorer said:
I have a 98 and i have a set of Pioneer 5x7's in the front with no modification at all. Circuit City will try their hardest to get you to buy the warrany, i used to work there, but i think if you get the right bass blockers then you should have no problem.

Get the warranty! Especially if there is any possibility of externally amplifying these speaks later on. The Circuit City warranty is a swap for speakers...which means that hypothetically speaking you can blow your speakers just before the warranty is up and get the brand new model speakers for nothing! (assuming they are the same price that you paid for the original speakers) I work at Circuit City and I buy warranties on almost all car audio related products I buy, the only reason I do is because of how easy the Circuit City warranty policies are to work with. Not a lot of BS to sift through before you get extended warranty work.

What about a warranty thru crutchfield? Has anyone ever used one of these?

It seems like it would be easier thru circuit city, since I could just take it to the store. Who knows where I would have to go to get service for a warranty thru crutchfield?

I guess it is just that crutchfield gives you all of the wiring harnesses and everything that you need, as opposed to CC where I would have to buy it all separately.

Thanks for the advice....

RYAN

Unless they've changed something in the last two years, Crutchfield does not offer extended warranties. If and item you bought from them goes bad while under warranty, they'll refer you to your local authorized service shop. If there's not one, they'll tell you where to mail it.

I have purchased from Crutchfield for years. I don't like paying for installs when I can do it myself, and I love the free support they give you on their items.

Anyway, just read the fine print on the warranty and if you think it's worth it go for it.

i have 6x8 and they fit fine i tried the 6x9 but the window wouldn't go all they way down unless you modify it but then after that i think the door pael wouldn't fit but i didn't try it i was told it would so i stayed with the 6x8s.

I work at CC, get the warranty. For $15 I think it is, you'll get brand new speakers for free if you blow them, it works just like a replacement plan. The Polks are alright, but out of the selection on the floor, I'd prefer Infinity, but thats me.

How do you feel about bass blockers? I am not looking for any competition bass here, I just don't want to blow my new speakers if I have a sub. I want to be able to play in loud and clear, not thug life...

I have 4 of the Polk DB570's. I got mine from Crutchfield when they had the buy 1 get the other pair 1/2 off. These are really nice speakers. I have them running off my Clarion head unit & they sound great. They also have a high SPL rating so you don't need many watts to drive them. They fit fine in your X. Yes you can use a 5 1/4 but it requires an adapter. I punched your X into Crutchfield's website & get 5x7, 6x8, & 5 1/4 as fitting.

Thanks a lot guys for all of your help. Everyone on here is extremely helpful, and I really do appreciate your time and responses.

I ordered the speakers last night at Crutchfield, and I am looking forward to finally having sound out of all 4 of my speakers.

I think the next purchase will be to upgrade the head unit. Little by little I will get my car back sounding good, but it is hard to dump a lot of money into it when it is 10 years old - although it does only have 88,000 miles. I just hope that it last another 80,000 miles...

Thanks again for everything.

RYAN

for the bass blockers, it didn't seem like you got any input...
all they are is little capacitors that will only allow the frequencies above the specified hz to go to your speakers, some say there's a sq difference when you use them but I dunno. I used them on my first set of speakers I used, but with the little power coming from head units I wasn't really worried about being able to hear the lower frequencies anyhow. If you think the low end is really muddy when you put in the polks you can always stick the bass blockers in later...

Back