• Register Today It's free!

how badly did I break it?

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
around 4:00 am on Christmas morning I was driving down the highway and saw some one stuck in the snow. " I should help them" I thought. So I stop but I had taken my tow strap out. I had to get in the snow and push him out. But the guy was trying to help with his driving and actually got himself stuck worst. so I adjust my angle of attack trying not to get into the deep ditch right behind me. while I am pushing his truck and going no where, I felt a BANG in the drive line. At that point I gave up and was backing out. but I didn't have 4x4 any more so every time I moved I fell deeper in this ditch.

Anyway, now when I put it in 4x4 all I get is rear tire spin and fast clicking from the front. I need it fixed, and I want to fix it better than it was stock.

Also, I have thought about switching to manual locking hubs but I like being able to toggle 4x4 in bad wheather. So I want the auto hubs, but I do want to make this a more indestructable vehicle. any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you blew a hub. Just go to manuals it will be worth it in the long run.

Thats why the only help i offer to people is to borrow my cell phone and call a tow truck!!!!

I put manuals on my 92 and in bad weather i just left them locked and switched the transfer case in and out as needed.

99explorer5.0 said:
Thats why the only help i offer to people is to borrow my cell phone and call a tow truck!!!!

Although its nice to help people in their time of need, I see no point in screwing up my truck either. But I will stop to see what I can do.

Well I have vowed never to be stuck again. I'm getting lockers, and a winch.
Will it hurt the manuals to leave them locked and keep driving?
So all I need to do is get new hubs? what about whatever they lock to?

it was probably a hub that blew.... i dotn get the part about whatever they lock to? they have a little knob on them allowing them to be locked to the axle (4x4) or unlocked..... anywyas... i odnt know about needing full lockers and a winch... but it wont hurt ;) warn and superwinch are pretty much the hub guys to get the stuff from... i htink milemarker has them too..... its not going to hurt the manuals to have them locked and keep driving in 4x2 however, it will make your gas mileage go down... and if you decide to try and turn with that front locker you want, its going to be very hard and otehr breakage may occur... if you are offroading just leave the hibs locked if you are constantly going in and out of the truck... if your doing road stuff or jsut regular driving get out and unlock them, they dont need to be locked

Helping someone else is the best time to break something, at least you were doing a good deed, even if you failed.
I will always try and help if I can, breakage or not....

It Definitely sounds like you grenaded a hub. The manuals are fairly easy to install and are many times stronger.. Also there is no need to reverse direction to unlock them (just turn each hub to Unlock and you're free wheeling). I would only leave my HUBs locked if the weather was bad enough that you were going to use 4x4 at some point during the day. Many people in snowy regions (Alaska, Canada, etc.) use 4x4 on a daily basis and just leave them locked.

Thanks guys. I'll go around today to see if I can find manuals locally.
What I meant by what ever they lock to, I guess was the axle. I didn't know if there was something that was in between the axle and the hub. thanks again.

my hubs stay locked alot of the time during the winter, we have had alot of snow so i dont wanna get out and engage em everytime. they are still going strong so i am sure it dont hurt em a bit

Brian-the end of the axles have to modified for manual hubs? I threw a set on mine and they work fine.

DeRocha-the manual hubs DO require you to back up to disengage-at least sometimes. I was playing with mine while I still had my truck on jack stands and found that the front wheels would still turn even after I unlocked the hubs(MileMarker) untill I put it in reverse then they popped to unlocked.

the axle shafts themselves do not need to be touched.
The spindle nuts on the spindle must be converted to the manual style, the auto hubs use a little sliding retainer to hold the assembly on, the manual spindle nuts are a inner nut with locating pin, lock ring washer, and a outer jamb nut.

The manual style spindle nuts you need to buy from Warn with the hubs, or get from a local auto parts store (car quest) you can ask for Dana 44 spindle nuts, inner, outer, and lock ring.

The axleshafts are the same auto or manual and whoever told you they need to be modified is high on something......

Also reverse is not required to unlock the hubs, however I too have found that they will not always unlock immediatley

Thanks for all of the info guys. I found a set for $156 from summit racing. I think I'll get those.
I did have my hart set on full auto hubs, but from what I have read manual are far more reliable. And that is what I need.
Thanks again.

My meaning got screwed up between my mind and my fingers - I meant 'spindles' but wrote 'axles'....either way, it isn't just the hub that has to be changed. Just 'throwing on a set' of hubs isn't the 'right' way to do it.

Manual hubs are the way to go... I work for a ford dealership and the manual hubs and spindle nut conversion kit were still cheaper than one employee priced auto hub. Plus I have been rolling for four years now on the manuals leaving the hubs locked in all winter and never had a problem, but i do recomend having a hub pack done twice a year once before the 4x4 season and once after

I agree it sounds like a hub!

I had the same problem in the mountains in the middle of an ice storm and slide halfway down the side of the mountain. After a phone call to friends and eight hours later I got out. Immediatly got a set of Warn manual hubs and have no problem since then. Actually thing it greatly imprvoved the 4x4 capabilities of my Sploder

Leaving hubs locked...

FYI...It can be done but it kills the fuel mileage...i lose about 100 miles to the tank when i leave mine engaged...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well this is what I've done. Today I went to a salvage yard and he pulled one from a "low mileage" X. I did this because $50 is much easier for me right now than $130 for hubs and then I think it's around a bill for the conversion kit.
I want the 4x4 to work and don't want to get caught in bad weather and not have it. I've got to recoupe from Christmas. So I figure when money smooths out, I'll go ahead and get the new hubs and sell my old working stuff in ebay. I'm also thinking of going for a front aussie locker while I'm at it.

Back