• Register Today It's free!

Noise ... alternator or waterpump

BExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XL 4x4
I have a dilema, and before spending big dollars I wanted more advise. I have a winning noise that follows the speed of the engine, I have done some testing has tha Haynes manuals says. There is no loose in the waterpump pulley, there is pressure in the hose at the exit of the pump and I have heat... I tryed to listen carefully with my ear close to the engine and it looks like it would be the alternator that would make the noise. I was wondering if there was anymore tests that I could run pefore assuming that the alternator is bad... The noise is been there for about 2 weeks and the truck still runs, so I figure that the alternator is still charging (10 min trip to work).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Other thing I have noticed, my temp gauge is stuck at 1/3 the range ??? My plugs have a white deposite on them. Would I be correct in assuming that I have a bad t-stat and not enough fluid is going to the waterpump... :rolleyes:

Have you considered the serpentine belt tensioner? I had a very similar problem on my truck--at first, I also thought it was either the water pump or the alternator. I finally found/fixed the problem after the tensioner broke apart (in my driveway, fortunately). If you've never replaced the tensioner, it's probably due for replacement anyway.

As far as the temperature reading goes, I think your thermostat is likely bad. They're easy and cheap to replace. I've never had one last more than a couple of years... :rolleyes:

I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

A trick for trying to find sounds in components that is hard to tell where it's coming from is take screw driver and stick the tip of it on the casing of whatever you want to test (alternator ect.) and stick your ear on the end of the handle of it while the engine is running. If it's coming from the component you have the screw driver on you will hear it loudly through the screw driver. Now of course that does work for everything, like you can't get it down on the water pump. You can at least see if it's the alternator though. Be careful and don't get it in the fan or belt. ;)

briway took my answer.

You look funny doing it, but trust me.
It works.

A loud whining sound is coming from under my hood. I think it's my alternator

some times I have a loud whinning sound comming from my passenger seat but that is another story entirely

Can I rebuilt the tensionner, does it need grease ?

I will listen to what my screwdriver has to tell me ... HA HA HA , I did ear about this trick but never tried it. So I think I will play a little bit of Doctor Mechanic by the end of the week... :mad:

Back