• Register Today It's free!

Annoying clicking from engine

Day

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, Ky.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I have a 91 Explorer with about 140,000 miles on the engine. The Exuast is striaght pipes from the headers on back to a flowmaster. It also has a K&N air filter. Ever since I eliminated the cats and swapped in the new filter I have had a annoying clicking from my engine, no matter what octane gas I put in it. Does anyone know if the free flowing exhaust is the culprit or is it simply the high mileage? Any tips would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure you do not have a small exhaust leak? They sound similar to what you are describing.

How loud?

You could of cracked a spark plug while doing the mod. This will make a pretty loud clicking.

When does the sound occur? My exhaust leak made noise whenever I put a load on the engine (pressed the accelerator in gear) and was louder the bigger the load. Also, does the clicking change in frequency the higher the RPMs? Mine got a lot faster the harder the engine was revving.

BTW, isn't it illegal to have no cats on your truck?

Originally posted by Alec

BTW, isn't it illegal to have no cats on your truck?

Yep Federal Offense I do belive. I think you can even go to jail for and have to pay massive fines if you ever get caught. Plus its just not worth it due to the fact that now-a-days engines are tunned to run well if not better with cats then without. I myself will go with a hi-flow cat someday.

I think the emmision tampering fine is $2500. This can be applied to owners, individuals and businesses.

Brent...

Stay where you are, they know who you are and will be be there soon!

Clicking

I'm glad to see we have so many enviromental activists out there. I will replace my cats as soon as possible but for right now Im going to have to pollute the air. Just can't afford new ones now.

Back