How Often Do You Wash Your X in Winter? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Often Do You Wash Your X in Winter?

With the crappy weather here to stay in Western NY, it got me thinking about how often i find myself washing the salt & road grime off the X.

I'd estimate that i'm at the nearest high-pressure self-wash station twice a week - spending about 10 minutes and $4 in quarters each time.

How often do you wash your X? What are your methods?

:D Y'All southerners that don't need to worry about snow, slush & salt don't count so don't vote! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok i dont wash my car,I just leave it muddy untill my mom cant handle looking at it and she goes out there and does it lol. If she only knew it is my plan lol

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Winter???? What's that?!?!? Here in NC, we're getting abnormally high temperature (upper 60's, lower 70's) the past 2 or 3 weeks. Out normal high is in the lower 40's at this time of the year.

Not that I'm complaining, but since the weather is so freakin' nice out, I take advantage to make my car as nice as possible. So I voted twice week since there isn't a choice for once a week. I don't wash it everyday, but I have been washing it every 3 or 4 days.

So far I've only washed it once and that was cause of the holidays, otherwise it probably won't get washed again this winter. It is a matter of convienence though. The last dealership I worked at had a carwash and I would wash it everyday.

I like to keep the salt off of both of our vehicles as much as possible, so I keep them rinsed off (with the hose at home) while the salt is in use. Fortunately that's only been periodically around here. I don't worry too much about actually washing them with soap, etc. I just like to thoroughly rinse the salt off-- especially from the under carriage.

In the summer i wash mine by hand weekly, as for the winter...i wax it up real good in the fall and just go to the free B.P. carwash weekly (code 77660, b.p./spectrum stations). and then on warmer days in the winter i wash it by hand

once a week wasn't on there so i choose once every 2 weeks.

i try to wash it at once a week though

Sorry bout that guys, not sure y i left "once a week" out of it...duly noted, though!

bout every other week here BC around here we dont know what season it is now :) one week its around 35-40 and then the next its back up to 65-70

Stuman78424 said:
In the summer i wash mine by hand weekly, as for the winter...i wax it up real good in the fall and just go to the free B.P. carwash weekly (code 77660, b.p./spectrum stations). and then on warmer days in the winter i wash it by hand

Free? Explain this...

you type 77660 in on the keypad and you get a free carwash a local b.p./spectrum station was running a promotion when it first opened that if you buy at least $20 of gas you get a free carwash(the works, the good one) and i bought my $20 of gas got the free carwash and the next week i needed to get another carwash but they were no longer running the promotion...i was just curious if the same code would work again and it did...again, and again and again...and then i tried a different b.p./spectrum station and it works there too. i havent tried it in quite a while though because it has been pretty warm and i can give the ex a hand wash

I usually wash mine when I fill her up with gas at the station's auto car wash once a month.........a little more often in winter and especially when we've had a storm..........seems like the sand and salt gravitates to my liftgate and rear window to the point I can't see out the back clearly :(

I drive my Explorer as little as possible, well at least that is the plan for the winter. I was thinking about just putting it in the garage for the winter, but it seems as though OHio may have a mild winter this year.

I usually was it at least once a week, even if i dont drive it

I never wash mine
in like five years I probabally washed mine ten times

i actually take it to the car wash maby once a month or after i go offroading however when it gets salty or muddy i usually just spay it with the hose

Wash ... what !!!!

I wash it when ever it is comming to a white color (original is burgundy) and/or the temp is hot enought so nothing freeze. The salt will not do much dammadge if there is no or almost no humidity, next year I will built a garage and then will want and will be able to wash more often. :eek:

Wash? in the winter? why waste my time? It'll just be salty again by the time I get home, and I'll be cold and wet.

so thats why my windows are having trouble going down.....really i thought the motor was going.

As long as its above 32 degrees I run it thru the Shell Station car wash every month. I get the undercarage wash too. Salt is a NO NO on your vechicle. Someone just wrote "wash me" on my EX so I guess its that time again. In the warm weather it gets washed weekly at my house.

My X has only been washed once this winter. It was just a spray down at the local "do it yourself" carwash. I plan to wash it again sometime though. In the summer, it gets washed about every 1-1.5 weeks.

Ok well i know what he is talking about i live about 20 minutes from buffalo and the snow and salt is terrible on the cars so i dont really take mine as much maybe every few weeks but i like to take my mothers 04 every week just to keep our first new vehical nice. but look out that salt will get ya

Back