91 Mazda Nav, Stuck in 4 low

Shinibents

Reaction score
City, State
Superior, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ranger 4.0
So hey guys, got a question for you.

I have a 91 Mazda Navajo and it's stuck in 4 low. The hubs don't seem to be engaged, as we can spin both wheels when it's on a jack.

There is no sound when I push the button to disengage it. The buttons do nothing, I tried pulling the fuse under the hood to see if that did anything, even drove it around the block like that, the only thing that did was turn off the lights inside.

I would just shrug it off as the lights messed up but since it's in low I can pull around 30 MPH max, in OD.

I've read the bits about hitting the motor on the case and unplugging the battery. Gonna try the motor bit tomorrow. Any other ideas on how to get it back into the higher gears?

Thanks,

SB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hit the motor. Make sure that you don't hit anything aluminum too hard, but i'd tap on the Shift Motor with a hammer. Just keep trying, it will come around.

This happens to mine everytime it gets below 10 degrees or so. IT will get sticky, and then when it gets into 4lo, it doesnt want to go anymore. SMack it a few times, get up and try to shift it. When you try, make sure it's with the engine off. Just turn key on, neutral, and try it. it's easier on the motor if the motors not running

MazdaGreg said:
Hit the motor. Make sure that you don't hit anything aluminum too hard, but i'd tap on the Shift Motor with a hammer. Just keep trying, it will come around.

This happens to mine everytime it gets below 10 degrees or so. IT will get sticky, and then when it gets into 4lo, it doesnt want to go anymore. SMack it a few times, get up and try to shift it. When you try, make sure it's with the engine off. Just turn key on, neutral, and try it. it's easier on the motor if the motors not running
This happens to you when it gets below 10 degrees? That makes more sense since it's been around -10 with a -20+ windchill here the past few days.

Yeah. The electronic switches, contacts, etc inside the motor housing just don't like to move around all that much. this has been a tough winter so far for us down here as well. But here's my thought. you don't normally use 4x4 on a daily basis unless it is cold, i.e. when there's snow on the ground. I do notice it more of a problem, but it could be just the circumstances.

Regardless, it's a known problem, and Ford still doesn't have a fix. No updated nothing. So us with the older Generations have to just live with it. :)

hope this helps. Good luck banging down there. Your neighbors will just look at you funny. Trust me, mine give me the goofiest looks when i lay in the snow banging underneith the car for 5 minutes in the dead of winter. they just think i'm eccentric! :)

You can pull the shift motor off and turn the transfer case knob by hand, there are markings on the case for the postion.

..I would do as jr has mentioned ...just keep a set of vise grips in the rig , and when you need to use the transfer case , you can manually shift it ....I checked on a new shift motor from my local parts store , and it was 180.00 , so I've decided to do the overhaul mentioned here ....Ashley

with that cold of wind chill, would you think the ATF freeze?

No way. ATF is pretty thin, it takes more than the atmosphere can ever give it before it freezes.

Dunno about completely freezing but my clutch, tranny, and brakes have been slush around 8 times this winter so far. A friend of mines truck was worse off, his tranny was so slushy that the stick would keep going back to the spot right before it goes into second gear. I ended up having to drive him to work.

Anyway, got the truck out of 4 low, the motor is froze so I'm going to have to redo it, a job for when it's warmer. Thanks for the help.

-SB

Back