• Register Today It's free!

Help! I stripped something

Explo01

Reaction score
City, State
Orange Co. California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
While I was working on a coolant change/flush, I stripped the drain plug. I can no longer use the allen wrench to open/close it. How and what do I need to unscrew it out? and can I find this plastic drain plug somewhere?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it not a 3/4 inch hex head?? And they can be replaced if needed.

i broke the hex head off. and i stripped the allen head hole

Hmmmmm... can't say that I've ever done that... I'm sure someone here knows what to do in that situation... but I have yet to be there, so I haven't figured it out yet.

i guess i'll have to take a blowtorch to a flathead screwdriver and stick it in there till it melts, let it cool, and unscrew the damn thing

as i was draining the radiator, i noticed that the drain plug did not come out completely. is there any way to remove it so that i may replace the broken the piece?

Just give it a pull.

Can't you get a visegrip in there?

How about slicing it in half with a blade then use a medium size flat screw driver to turn it?

i'll try the blade method. and the melt w/ a screwdriver method. it's broken in there pretty deep tho. but i'll try it.

if i fail i got a couple options:
1. take it to a radiator shop
2. buy a radiator from a salvage yard
3.or something else...

If you need to use those options, I would opt for no. 1... a rad shop will be able to repair it, or replace just the tank...

if you have a stick welder... hook it up and set it as low as it will go and touch the stick to the middle of the bolt... let it stick there or weld something to it and then you can turn it out with the stick

It's plastic.

curse these cheap plastic pieces

Why do you need to unscrew the drain plug? Just leave it in, and pull the lower hose to drain the radiator.

if i were smart enough, i would've thought of it. but will it drain as much as if you were to drain it from the proper drain hole?

good news!

the heated flat-head screwdriver method did work! but now i got an itch to take that broken drain **** out. i bought a new one from the dealership, but how do i go about taking it out completely?

never mind- there was nothing to it. it came out without any problems :)

Back