Spare Tire Carrier Hinge | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire Carrier Hinge

Thanks for all the links. I saw a Yota with one of those latches and it worked great, but up until now I have not been able to find them.

Good info on the Rockstomper hinge. I thought it was the toughest out there and I planned to use it. I guess I am going to build one out of an F150 spindle since it will be a good spot for a spare hub anyway.

Good thread!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally Posted by Zhanx
Ok call me crazy but... this hinge will have the same problem as the one from rockerstomper.. its built on the same principle as that one.. so when you weld it on it will be brittle..(if i am the master of the obvious let me know). Its a mute point now for me.. While i am not home i ordered the bumper.. the man screwed it up completely.. looks like he used three 1" tubes for the bumper instead of 2 or 1.5.. minus that the spare tire carrier pissed the wife off when she opened it at wally world and it was out in the middle of the road.. so she wants it on top. So now i need to switch to a roof rack design.. ughh.. (and now that i am coming home on R&R leave anyone in the ft bragg area wanna let me borrow a saw-alll to cut the old one off.. which would look good maybe on a 1st gen

Your right, I just thought it was a good drawing to show the internals of the hinge and where the weak spots are for those that aren't familiar with the design and its problems.

why not fab something so when it swings shut, a smaller square tube enters your receiver tube and just lock it with the locking pin?

That would work, but what do you do when you want to tow something with your hitch?

jake the snake said:
why not fab something so when it swings shut, a smaller square tube enters your receiver tube and just lock it with the locking pin?

I was thinking of this, too. Some type of "saddle" arrangement so the carrier attaches to the outside of the receiver tube while the hitch can still slide in, might work. Or, simply incorporate the hitch receiver (for the ball) into the carrier.

If I was educated in and equipped for metalwork, I would have built one using that concept. Keep in mind that I have an automatic A4LD, and will NEVER tow anything with it. Start with a tubular steel frame, securely mounted to the right side of the top of the bumper, fashion a hinge by using two close diameter tubes, one on top of the other vertically, just to the right of rear window's path. Then, make a right triangle out to where the tire will mount and back to near where it mounts to the bumper. Last, attach a tube going down from tire mount with a "male" square piece attached and angled right into the receiver. I would buy a bolt-on receiver, and the locking pin. I even figured that having all that weight on the right side rear might take some of the driver's side sag my gir has. Might even add traction to my stupid right wheel spinning open carrier. I think its a pretty sound idea, no?

jake the snake said:
If I was educated in and equipped for metalwork, I would have built one using that concept. Keep in mind that I have an automatic A4LD, and will NEVER tow anything with it. Start with a tubular steel frame, securely mounted to the right side of the top of the bumper, fashion a hinge by using two close diameter tubes, one on top of the other vertically, just to the right of rear window's path. Then, make a right triangle out to where the tire will mount and back to near where it mounts to the bumper. Last, attach a tube going down from tire mount with a "male" square piece attached and angled right into the receiver. I would buy a bolt-on receiver, and the locking pin. I even figured that having all that weight on the right side rear might take some of the driver's side sag my gir has. Might even add traction to my stupid right wheel spinning open carrier. I think its a pretty sound idea, no?

might give some umm extra traction i guess.. i think i am going to use the hinge anyway but : one change the way its welded in. in all the case i have read about the main failure was at the base due to vibration. So incorperation a square spring loaded lock on the left side that will be rubberized (some how). And using cool zone (its a gel i use when soldering copper near componets that could melt) to help keep the heat down on the spindle outside of the weld area should help. and i was thinking about a third or center support designed to holder the carrier tight lined with some old thick roof material i got laying around. The wife doesn't want one but i figure if i make the center main beam telescoping it will cut down on the length and no have it stuck out so far. As for towing whats wrong with a snowmobile? gotta have a way to move it around but not much heavier stuff.

I've got a 2" reciever welded inbetween my tubes and i've not had a problem pulling anything or towing anything. I used it to pull people out of mud holes also.

I tested mine out my havin a tug-o-war against this.....

420202_145_full.jpg

--Ryan

who won? :p

I did... I'm serious... he broek his front ujoint, then grenaded his rear end.

that's impressive

Very impressive!

Well, I FINALLY got tiem to get some pics of my hinge and my latch....

Hinge (sorry the hinge is so dirty, I took these during m tranny/t-case swap so It hasn't been cleaned in a WHILE)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/420000-420999/420202_171_full.jpg

Latch Open
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/420000-420999/420202_173_full.jpg

Latch Locked
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/420000-420999/420202_172_full.jpg

I hope that helps ya out a little bit!!

--Ryan

I HATE CARDOMAIN!!! the pics aren't working, just click on my website link in my profile, and go to page 2, there's pics of my rear bumper and of the hinge, and latch in both positions

hey talk to taxmann. He has one on his X and it looks good. Check on the thread bout the shoping cart bumper.

Back